CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Name the antenna wires?? Who can help with this? See pic.

Caddyboy86

Hey guys. I am replacing my long busted OEM antenna with an aftermarket electric Hirschmann with the black mast.

The Hirschmann seems simple enough. Red (hot) white (radio on) and black (ground) and the antenna lead to the head unit.

But I'm having trouble understanding the Caddy wiring. Can anyone school me on this?

In my pic of this 94 STS,

1.) what is that BOX behind the antenna?

2.) Which wire is the HOT, the GROUND, and the RADIO wires?

Am I just clipping the GREEN, GRAY, and WHITE wires from the relay that go to the OEM antenna, removing old antenna, and wiring in the Hirschmann to the remaining wires? Green is Hot? White is radio? Gray is ground? Am I close on this? What is that BOX? Who can help?

See my pic and click on it to make it big

th_53994_antennaHELP_122_145lo.jpg

I have a 1997 model year FSM that is probably OK for the radio antenna as your 1994 STS. Here's whjat it says on pages 8A-151-0 and -1.

The power antenna is operated from three wires that go to the Power Antenna Relay, which is on the power antenna assembly. They are an ORN (orange) wire that is hot at all times, and fused by a 20 Amp fuse in the Trunk Compartment Fuse Block , labeled ANTENNA FUSE, a BLK (black) wire which is ground, and an Antenna Power wrie from the radio which is PNK (pink). Three short wires go between a jack on the the relay and the antenna mast motor, WHT, DK GRN, and GRY, but these will go away with the antenna and relay when you switch.

In your photo, I do see pink and yellow (orange?) wires going into the relay connector. I don't see a red wire going into the jack. You can check which wire is always hot and is on the ANTENNA fuse, and which one turns off and on with the radio with a test light or a voltmeter. My money is on the orange and pink wires, not the red and yellow wires. Go with the wires that actually are connected in the jack from the wiring harness onto the relay. You might pull the jack off the relay to see which connectors actually go into the relay in case there are some extras. But in the final analysis the wires you need are the ones fused by the ANTENNA fuse and switched with the radio.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You do know that it is easy to fix the OEM antenna for ~$20 in parts

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived