CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Home Theater Nightmare

I browsed the user comments on the Amazon page for selling the Denon AVR 688, and found that the replies fell int two categories:

• Those who were comfortable with electronics had a hard time with the manual but could get the unit working with some difficulty. Other digital stereos in the same price range could be set up in a few minutes.
  • Those who were not as versed in electronics could not figure out the manual. Partially complete but workable set-ups followed after a day or more of work, or not at all.
  • One our two who had their unit go bad do not get prompt customer service.
I see that NewEgg doesn't carry Denon.

I suggest that you get a friend who is more comfortable with setting up digital audio and home theater electronics to come over and try to work with the manual. Failing that, you can get a professional installation, but make sure that whover you have over has installed the Denon AVR 688 before; you probably don't want to watch someone trying to figure out that manual for the first time. The third line of defense is to exchange it for another unit that is more user-friendly.

As with any new state-of-the-art digital home theater equipment, make sure that you have at least 30 days warranty with the store on the unit. A certain percentage of any such product will have something pop somewhere in the first week or so, and the store is a lot easier to deal with than the manufacturer for returns because you can just drive the unit over and hand it to them.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You might find some help at the Audio Video Science Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

[*]Those who were not as versed in electronics could not figure out the manual. Partially complete but workable set-ups followed after a day or more of work.

This is the point I made it to. Unfortunately, I bought this awhile ago but life got in the way of setting it up - so an exchange is not in the cards.

I'll head over to avsforum and see if I can glean anything there.

Guess I could call Firedog as a last resort, but that feels a little like taking the Eldo to Pep Boys ...... :o

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Archived