CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 deville stalling

TROYBLISS

my 2000 deville that i got a month ago has been shutting down after i leave it and it idles for about 5 minutes. it started the redlight stall thing too, periodically, and just today, after coming to a stop, i took off and it bucked, as if the transmission was going out all a sudden, then went on like nothing happened. the transmission seems to be shifting ok, i wonder if my crankshaft position sensors need replacing also. i dont get the code for that but i do get the code for the torque converter lockup, but the transmission seems to shift just fine.

my 2000 deville that i got a month ago has been shutting down after i leave it and it idles for about 5 minutes. it started the redlight stall thing too, periodically, and just today, after coming to a stop, i took off and it bucked, as if the transmission was going out all a sudden, then went on like nothing happened. the transmission seems to be shifting ok, i wonder if my crankshaft position sensors need replacing also. i dont get the code for that but i do get the code for the torque converter lockup, but the transmission seems to shift just fine.

I saw a traffic light with a notice attached: IF YOUR ENGINE STALLED AND IT IS A 2000 NORTHSTAR, REPLACE CRAKSHAFT POSITION SENSORS NOW.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I saw a traffic light with a notice attached: IF YOUR ENGINE STALLED AND IT IS A 2000 NORTHSTAR, REPLACE CRAKSHAFT POSITION SENSORS NOW.

:lol:

That's a hilarious way to state it, but yeah replace your crankshaft position sensors. You should replace it with ACDelco. If you click the link at the bottom of my message there's a discount code you can use for rockauto.com.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Ditto, crank sensors. But, is it just spontaineously dying with no notice or is the idle getting slower and slower till it dies?

Crank sensors don't set codes you will get a STALL DETECTED code..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ditto, crank sensors. But, is it just spontaineously dying with no notice or is the idle getting slower and slower till it dies?

Crank sensors don't set codes you will get a STALL DETECTED code..

it just dies all a sudden at the stop light. i can tell though that my engine performance is not what it should be also. i can start the car up and let it idle in my driveway in park, and 5 minutes later, it will stop running.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem with my 2000 sts. So I've just replaced the sensors, and although the car starts better, it still seems like its going to stall at some point (driving in town at traffic lights). Right now it surges at idle, and there is a strange delay as I accelerate. However at about 2k rpm everything works fine.

I'm trying to figure out for sure if this is because the learn procedure hasn't been run with the teck 2 scanner. Has anyone else had the same experience, and did the sympotoms listed above go away when they had the procedure done by a GM dealership?

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Andrew

Archived