CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacement Arm Rests

Dave in Texas

Has anyone here bought replacement arm rests? Wondering how well they hold up and if the quality is good? Both sides of my Coupe are cracked and White tape doesn't cut it.....

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I would talk to an upholstery shop.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

That was the first thing I thought of. Turns out they want a hellofalot of money to fix the problem......it's a Cadillac afterall and Cadillac owners are all rich! The replacements I'm looking at are under $80ea shipped and color matched. I've run across one person who has bought and the praise is High, but I'd like more opinions than just that one....

it's a Cadillac afterall and Cadillac owners are all rich!

I hear you. Try another upholstery shop. If that doesn't work, tell them that your armrests are from an old Citroen and you're mounting them to the wall at the bar in your den for decor.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Here is an idea that I used on my 88 Eldorado that was cheap and improved the car. Get a piece of thick high quality leather to go over the the cracked arm rest. Use contact cement to glue it. But before gluing it down, cut out any cracked areas that are protruding. Use RTV too smooth the cracks out so you have a smooth base to glue the leather too.

IPB Image

Ed that is a very good idea. A project to ponder, thanks. (I must locate a white cow.....)

There are a lot of Holsteins around Austin.

They are half white and you don't need the WHOLE COWSKIN, just for the armrests. :D

Then sell the black half to someone with a black car and make a couple of bucks. :D

Posted Image

Jim that is a great idea! OK, now seeking a black Caddy. That might be tough. Black interior in Texas>>>whew! Hot-squared!!

Heck... sell it on E-Bay.... harder to trace where you got it at.

Posted Image

I am originally from Austin, but left after graduating from UT in 1961, came back for graduate work in 1963, and left for good in 1974. I don't think it ever got over 124 when I was there (August 1954, I think). Why do you think it's hot there in the summer? :o

124dg? Hottest it's ever is a mear 112dg in Sept 2000. That year set lotsa records for HOT! I was still working back then, but I like it Hot. Cold bad! I was stationed at Bergstrom '61-'65. I recall some Winters we had to keep our aircraft engines up/running it was so crazy-cold. The AP foot-patrol guards had it so much worse though.....

You can find a small piece of white leather at an upholstery shop, junk yard (old car), ebay, etc. The leather may be too thin but just double it up using contact cement to glue the double pieces together. It'll give your car a Cadillac Allante feel to it.

IPB Image

double it up using contact cement to glue the double pieces together. It'll give your car a Cadillac Allante feel to it.

Allante feel....sounds foreign. What can be used to hide the outside edges?

If it is thin leather, you can fold over the leather. If it is thick, it would be more challenging and you might have to sand it down thin enough to fold over. Another idea is to use piping on the edge but you would need an industrial walking foot sewing machine for that.

IPB Image

Archived