CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chains with FWD

Dave in Texas

I may have to drive in snow/ice sometime in the near future. I've seen regular snow chains and also cable chains for the front wheels. Not exactly sure what cable chains are though. Chains needed for all 4 wheels or not? Understand driving RWDs in snow...not so much in FWD car. Thanks

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I may have to drive in snow/ice sometime in the near future. I've seen regular snow chains and also cable chains for the front wheels. Not exactly sure what cable chains are though. Chains needed for all 4 wheels or not? Understand driving RWDs in snow...not so much in FWD car. Thanks

It all depends on where you plan on traveling. If you're going to the midwest, you don't need chains but if you plan on going through some mountain pass in Colorado (for example), then you would need to have chains ready to install in case you need them. You would need to install the chains in the front tires of your car in that case. A FWD car handles MUCH better and has MUCH better traction than a RWD car in snow.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I live in Minneapolis, and one of my friends moved here from Arizona and it was her first winter, so I've just been through this and have some tips for you. We get a fair amount of snow and you don't need chains here. My STS handles it pretty well.

For some general winter driving tips, I'd say to drive slower than usual, and stop further back than you're used to. Cars idling at stoplights can produce black ice from the exhaust, so intersections can be slippery. Other slippery spots are bridges, since there's cold air above and below it, and exit/entrance ramps. Pay attention for cars running red lights, lots of people here do it in the winter because they don't want to slam the brakes and slide through the intersection.

You could try finding an icy/snowy empty parking lot and try doing some donuts and trying to correct out of it to see how your car will handle. I grew up here and when the back end starts to slide I just instinctively turn the wheel to correct it. Practice would help you learn how your car handles it, so you don't over correct and end up in the ditch.

If you DO end up in the ditch, kitty litter works good for traction. Don't just jump on the gas, because your tires will spin and turn the snow to ice making it harder to get out. Rock the car, alternating forward and reverse to get out. A tip I learned years ago is to stick a floor mat underneath the wheel that's spinning to give you traction.. the tire will grip it and spit the mat out.

Hope that helps!

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

It all depends on where you plan on traveling. If you're going to the midwest, you don't need chains but if you plan on going through some mountain pass in Colorado (for example), then you would need to have chains ready to install in case you need them. You would need to install the chains in the front tires of your car in that case. A FWD car handles MUCH better and has MUCH better traction than a RWD car in snow.

Thanks KHE. If I go, it will be to the NE, where I learned to drive. Long ago enough when there were no FWDs. Whenever it snows/ices in Central Texas, I have a hellofa good time. No one is on the road, or is already in the bar-ditch

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Another tip is to throw the car into neutral as you stop. This will keep the engine from decreasing braking on the front wheels and let you use less pressure on the brake, and may keep the rear wheels from locking up.

You might check the make and type of your tires and check online for the snow or winter traction rating, and take that into account in your plans for driving tips and techniques.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived