CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Death of the Eldorado

mmarinov

Hi all:

On Friday, December 13, I drove the normal 12 miles to work without issue. Came out to the car over lunch 4 hours later and she seemed to shift into reverse but would not actually drive anywhere. I gently tapped the gas and the transmission seemed to catch for a split second. Thinking I was maybe in a rut, I shifted into drive and again nothing happened. I heard a clunking noise and the car completely disengaged. Only revving no matter the gear.

I shut the car off, checked for codes; nothing. Got out of the car to find her bleeding to death in front of my eyes :(

Long story short, here's what I found on the ground. Due to the catastrophic appearance of the problem, and combined with some body work that needed to be done with the car, I decided it was curtains for the Eldorado. The silver lining is that I came away from the situation with a Pearl Crimson 2000 STS (47K). Beautiful car - I love it! I'll snap some pics of the new Caddy once I get it cleaned up.

Um, any idea what happened with the tranny on the '94 Eldo? I have never experienced anything like it!!

IMAG0011_2.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

It could be as simple as a lose hose clamp on a transmission return line...

Did you see the items in the second picture???

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Did you see the items in the second picture???

Oops, guess I should have elaborated a bit more on the photos...a good chunk of the bellhousing broke off with what appears to be the parking pawl having shot through it.

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Now there is something you don't see every day, that is a shocker... Glad you replaced it with a nice one, post some pictures when you get a chance

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Those things don't just happen. If the parking pawl fell out, it might have been hit while parked, or some valet threw it in park while it was moving. In any case, it has worked out quite well for you.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived