CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 Impala LS

We just had nearly two days of snow mixed with rain and ice here in Northern New Jersey. Now is a good time to talk about how the 2008 Impala LS handled through it all.

Keeping in mind the car has NO traction control, NO ABS brakes and rides around on factory installed Goodyear Integrity, all-season radials (225/60-16), I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car handled snow and ice. Even several uphill climbs were easily accomplished by the car. Although the car has ordinary brakes, I didn't experience any problems with brakes locking up or the car skidding or slipping on ice. The traction was great, even if a wheel did meet ice and spin, the car maintained proper tracking.

GM has a winner!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Very nice to hear that Marika. At work Friday we discussed our various vehicles; I reported my nearly 4,000lb. ride appeared to have nearly 5,000lbs. on top of the drive wheels! Seriously, the Eldorados have treated me very well in the snow. One of my Saturn-owning accomplices sadly said his simply didn't have the weight over the drive wheels to cut it. And the guy with the 400hp Camaro . . . snicker, snicker . . . the wifey loses her SUV on snow days. :D :D :D

I know you're objective and critical. It's good news (for both you and GM) that you are so satisfied with the Impala LS. Many continued happy miles.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The ice man cometh and arriveth this morning.....

It rained ice last night and into this morning. After I managed to get inside my car without falling and breaking my neck, I started the engine, turned on the blower for the windshield and the defroster for the rear window. Then, I grabbed my ice scrapper, left the confines of the car and went to work on the windows. Within in a few minutes all was clear.

Got back in the car and drove off like nothing was wrong... :lol: While traveling this one road, I watched as vans and SUV's swerved while hitting ice, and of course they were driving too fast. However, this Impala held its ground, literally. It seems a well balanced car. No problems driving on today's ice. I simply reminded myself of what it was like to drive my '66 Malibu and that's how I handled the Impala. Flawless.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Current weather conditions reported by NOAA:

/O.CON.KOKX.WW.Y.0012.000000T0000Z-081224T1300Z/ NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-NORTHERN NEW LONDON-BERGEN- EASTERN PASSAIC-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER- SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX- 726 AM EST WED DEC 24 2008

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EST THIS MORNING...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EST THIS MORNING.

A GLAZE TO UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE AREA BY THE TIME THE PRECIPITATION CHANGES TO PLAIN RAIN LATER THIS MORNING. SOME SLEET AND SNOW WILL BE MIXED IN WITH THE FREEZING RAIN AT TIMES.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING

Marika,

I would be very surprised if your 2008 GM vehicle didn't come stock with ABS.

Every GM vehicle that I have had since 1994 has had some sort of ABS. Even the pick-up trucks.

The next time you are on a slippery surface and can do it safely, try to lock the brakes up & see if you get the pedal buzz that results from the ABS kicking in.

Be careful out there!

It is usually the other guy that drives too fast on snow & ice that causes the accident that totals your car.

I think that some people who have a 4 wheel drive vehicle think that they can drive however they please, just because of the 4 wheel drive.

While a 4 or all wheel drive vehicle will get moving easier, it will add nothing to the stopping ability of the vehicle.

Merry Christmas, & a Safe & Happy New Year!!

Britt

Britt

Marika,

Every GM vehicle that I have had since 1994 has had some sort of ABS. Even the pick-up trucks.

The next time you are on a slippery surface and can do it safely, try to lock the brakes up & see if you get the pedal buzz that results from the ABS kicking in.

Be careful out there!

It is usually the other guy that drives too fast on snow & ice that causes the accident that totals your car.

I think that some people who have a 4 wheel drive vehicle think that they can drive however they please, just because of the 4 wheel drive.

While a 4 or all wheel drive vehicle will get moving easier, it will add nothing to the stopping ability of the vehicle.

Britt

I guess you're in for a surprise. 2008 Impala LS came base without ABS brakes or traction control. But that's OK actually, I never liked ABS to begin with. 2009 Impala LS comes WITH ABS brakes and traction control but it's also about $3,000 more expensive.

Marika,

Be careful out there!

Britt

I guess you're in for a surprise. 2008 Impala LS came base without ABS brakes or traction control. But that's OK actually, I never liked ABS to begin with. 2009 Impala LS comes WITH ABS brakes and traction control but it's also about $3,000 more expensive.

Well, Color me "surprised" then. I knew that traction control was an extra cost option, but I thought that ABS was standard.

I don't really "like" ABS either, but when the chips are down and you need a maximum stopping effort, no matter what the surface, dry, wet or slippery, ABS will stop you quicker that any human can possibly do.

You need to resist the urge to "pump" the brakes as we were all taught back in the 60's and just stand on the pedal. I have had a couple of "saves" that I will grudgingly attribute to ABS.

I found this reference dated 1991 referring to GM's plans for installing antilock brakes on it's vehicles.

This is why I thought it strange that a 2008 GM vehicle didn't have them.

Take Care,

Britt

AP

Published: February 12, 1991

COMPANY NEWS; G.M.'s Timetable On Antilock Brakes

Antilock brakes will be standard or optional equipment by 1993 on virtually all of the General Motors Corporation's cars and light trucks, G.M.'s chairman, Robert C. Stempel, said. Auto makers already offer antilock brakes on about 35 percent of all new trucks and cars, mainly luxury and large models. But new technology has allowed G.M. to design inexpensive systems that could be offered as options on compact cars, Mr. Stempel told the National Automobile Dealers Association on Saturday.

Antilock brakes help prevent skidding on slippery roads or in sudden stops by varying braking pressure many times a second.

Britt

Marika,

After a little more research, I find that my assumption on GM's ABS being on all 2008 cars to be in error!

Does crow taste better with salt?

Take care,

Britt

2008 Chevrolet Impala LS

PRICING

» Rebates & Incentives

» Payment Calculator

» Free Price Quote

VEHICLE DETAILS

» Summary

» Technical Specs

» Standard Equipment

» Colors

» Safety Information

PHOTOS & VIDEO

» Photos

» Videos

RATINGS & REVIEWS

» Reviews

» Reliability Ratings

COMPARE VEHICLES

» View Competitors

» Compare Vehicles

Gas Mileage

City 18

Highway 29

CHANGE VEHICLE

» Change Trim

» Search By Make

» Search By Category

SAFETY FEATURES

ABS Brakes N/A

Driver Air Bag STD

Passenger Air Bag STD

Side Air Bag N/A

Daytime Running Lights STD

CHILD SAFETY FEATURES

Passenger Air Bag Cutoff N/A

Child Safety Locks STD

Britt

I had this discussion with Marika when she acquired the car. I was shocked that ABS was not standard and very surprised that GM would compromise safety for vehicle affordability

Since I thought that ABS brakes are a positive safety feature I did a little research, check this link

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/antilock.html

It seems that there is some question of ABS's effectiveness

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Tis OK!!

I had this discussion with Marika when she acquired the car. I was shocked that ABS was not standard and very surprised that GM would compromise safety for vehicle affordability

Anti-lock brakes are the subject of some experiments centered around risk compensation theory, which asserts that drivers adapt to the safety benefit of ABS by driving more aggressively. In a Munich study, half a fleet of taxicabs were equipped with anti-lock brakes, while the other half had conventional brake systems. The crash rate was substantially the same for both types of cab, and Wilde concludes this was due to drivers of ABS-equipped cabs taking more risks, assuming that ABS would take care of them, while the non-ABS drivers drove more carefully since ABS would not be there to help in case of a dangerous situation. A similar study was carried out in Oslo, with similar results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

Any vehicle is ONLY as safe as its driver.

See my link above I modified it

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hummm, crow tastes just like chicken :excl:! :P

Britt

Britt

Hummm, crow tastes just like chicken :excl:! :P

Britt

:lol:

I like ABS also, especially in wet weather and panic stops

I was almost killed Christmas morning.

I was driving home from the local diner around 8 a.m. I was headed south on Midland Avenue in the town where I live. Suddenly, I see a small black car headed north on Midland Avenue at about 80 mph, as it approaches me, it begins to swerve over the center line and head right at me. I DO THE RIGHT THING, KEEP MY FOOT AWAY FROM THE BRAKE PEDAL, FLOOR THE GAS AND SWERVE TOWARD THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD. The small black car misses me by about 1 foot, maybe less. The minivan behind me swerves to the left, just nearly being missed by the black car. The black car then proceeds to crash into a large pile of snow, bounces off the snow and then continues like a bat out of hell north on Midland Avenue, disappearing from sight in a matter of seconds. The family in the minivan are clearly shaken.

The black car was driven like it was stolen so I have to assume it was stolen and the kid behind the wheel was either blown off on some serious drugs or he was suicidal, or both.

The Impala handled the whole situation like a champion.

Darn... I hate it that you were put thru the scary situation, but EXTREMELY GLAD that you are OK.

Sounds like you did exactly the right thing. Kudos to the Impala also.

There was no time to be scared, it all happened in less than 4 or 5 seconds, at the most. I think it had a lot to do with timing and luck.

WOW glad the Impala and you reacted good

I am extremely grateful that you made it through that with nothing more than an increased heart rate. Someone was watching out for the family in the van also.

We had an similar incident near hear several years ago.

A young woman and at least one of her kids were killed. they were in a Chevy van with a V-6 engine. I was looking for Cadillac parts for my 94 SLS in a local junk yard when I came upon that van. It was unrecognizable with the exception of the tailgate.

My curiosity got the better of me, because I couldn't identify the vehicle. When I looked at the engine, I noticed that the forward cylinder head was knocked completely off of the engine! It is hard to believe that something could hit a vehicle hard enough to do that kind of damage.

I never found out what it was that hit the van, but there were pieces of it intermingled in the van's remains.

A situation like this just reinforces the fact that you have to be aware of what is happening around you.

Thank the Lord that you were able to see & avoid the small black car. I hope that he didn't hit anyone before he got wherever it was that he was going.

Take Care, Britt

Britt

WOW glad the Impala and you reacted good

Strangely, I went to my mother's house yesterday so I used the Garden State Parkway. I can't tell you how many drunk drivers I saw on the GSP yesterday, coming and going, and yet, only ONE state trooper. Go figure. <_<

Yesterday was a bad day to be on the road.

I am extremely grateful that you made it through that with nothing more than an increased heart rate. Someone was watching out for the family in the van also.

We had an similar incident near hear several years ago.

A young woman and at least one of her kids were killed. they were in a Chevy van with a V-6 engine. I was looking for Cadillac parts for my 94 SLS in a local junk yard when I came upon that van. It was unrecognizable with the exception of the tailgate.

My curiosity got the better of me, because I couldn't identify the vehicle. When I looked at the engine, I noticed that the forward cylinder head was knocked completely off of the engine! It is hard to believe that something could hit a vehicle hard enough to do that kind of damage.

I never found out what it was that hit the van, but there were pieces of it intermingled in the van's remains.

A situation like this just reinforces the fact that you have to be aware of what is happening around you.

Thank the Lord that you were able to see & avoid the small black car. I hope that he didn't hit anyone before he got wherever it was that he was going.

Take Care, Britt

You mention that people have to be aware of what is happening around them. I agree but what do car manufacturers do, install televisions along side the overly complicated radios, touch screen gizmos and who knows what else. I prefer a car that's pretty much stripped down, the less in it, the better. What I really like about my 2008 Impala is the built in car phone. The button is right on the rear view mirror, just push the button and you can dial a number or if you take a few minutes you can save a call list. Either way, it's hands free calling if you need it and you don't take your eyes off the road.

By the way, anything "touch screen" should be a no-no in any car. Touch screen ALWAYS forces the driver to take his/her eyes off the road and that's always BAD.

Archived