CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Heater questions

lothos

I was having something weird going on this summer, when the car would sit and bake in the sun the blower would come on and blow for a little bit even with the heat/air turned off. The blower still blows, but I have a few questions, car is a 1995 STS.

When the heat is on auto/auto, it blows out the defrost by the windshield, and by my feet. I don't think I've had it ever blow out of the dash, what should I check?

On the defrost vents by the windshield, the passenger side has more air coming out than the drivers side, anything to check there?

When the controls are on auto/auto it blows air decently, but when I move the controls down to low I can feel warmth from the floor vents but there's barely any air coming out. Is that normal? Turning the output up to high has no effect, it blows the same as it does on Auto, maybe it's already on high since it's so cold out here?

I had my back heater core lines replaced, maybe some of the wiring for the blower got disturbed? Should I try replacing the blower motor relay? Does it sound like my (possibly original) blower motor is going out? I'm not sure what the mechanical device is that controls the airflow/vent direction or I would have tried searching.

Never dealt with this before, thanks for helping a newbie out! :lol:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I should also add that I don't know if this is normal behavior or not for the vents to only blow out of the defrost and floor when it's cold out.

Thanks for the help guys

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

With the mode button set to dash vents it blows from the floor and defrost vents?

I don't have a mode button to set it to floor/dash. There's an auto / econ button, and a button to set the temp higher or lower, and a button to turn the blower speed from low to low/auto, to auto, to auto/high, to high. Putting it on low I can feel warmth from the vents but there's not a lot of blowing air. And putting it to high it seems to blow the same speed as auto.

I vaguely remember reading on here that the computer will control what vents it blows out of depending on temperature, but I can't find that post anymore.

Cheers!

I thought only the pre 2000 Devilles where like that. With no mode control, I think you are operating as intended.

Thanks for the reply, Ranger.

What about the defrost vent blowing more air out of the passenger side than the drivers side? I'm talking about the wide vent on top of the dash in the center of the windshield.

Does the speed sound like it's working right? Moving from Auto to High doesn't increase the amount of airflow coming out. It's cold here though, 10 degrees today, and I haven't been in the car for a long enough time period to see if it doesn't blow as hard once the interior warms up.

Cheers!

What about the defrost vent blowing more air out of the passenger side than the drivers side? I'm talking about the wide vent on top of the dash in the center of the windshield.

That doesn't sound right.

Does the speed sound like it's working right? Moving from Auto to High doesn't increase the amount of airflow coming out. It's cold here though, 10 degrees today, and I haven't been in the car for a long enough time period to see if it doesn't blow as hard once the interior warms up.

Auto usually will start out on high and gradually step down as the interior warms (or cools).

That doesn't sound right.

What should I be looking for here? I have the FSM so I can dig up diagrams if need be, but I'm not sure where to start.

My car also reminded me yesterday that I might have a vacuum leak. It was a little rough on startup. The e-brake also doesn't pop all the way up on it's own sometimes, and I think that vacuum is related to the heater as well. I haven't been having a problem with it so I left it as is and forgot about it. We're getting 6+ inches of snow today, and the car is buried but I'll try taking a look at it sometime soon. Would that possibly fix the problem with the defrost vents, or am I looking at something seperate for that?

Cheers!

Yes. The modes on your car are vacuum operated and the parking brake release diaphragm is on the same vacuum circuit. Additionally, defrost is the default mode in case of a vacuum loss. Find and fix the vacuum leak and I think your problem will be solved.

Yes. The modes on your car are vacuum operated and the parking brake release diaphragm is on the same vacuum circuit. Additionally, defrost is the default mode in case of a vacuum loss. Find and fix the vacuum leak and I think your problem will be solved.

Ahh! Very good info, thank you very much for your help.

The car has about six or eight inches of snow on it right now, I'll take a look at it asap.

Thanks again for your help Ranger, great info as always. :yupi3ti:

Cheers!

Archived