CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

frozen doors

johnnydone

I live in Minneapolis and it's -8F right now, the high all day was -1F :lol:

Someone on the forum here suggested warm tap water and be sure to keep it off your glass.

I'd probably use the hair dryer suggestion personally. Did you try all the doors? My doors have been frozen shut before on another car, and I was able to get one of the passenger side doors open and start the car up, the heater took care of the other door.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

thanks guys a buddy came by and he got it open i dont know how more freezing rain and snow tonight so might have same prob tomorrow by the way my other cad went back in the shop had low coolant message crack ine side rad tank plus the fan motor dropped its fan this will be the 3rd one

its a never ending battle

Try a gallon of hot water from the house, poured slowly over the edges of the door. Hot water in a can made especially for watering garden plants would be ideal.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks guys a buddy came by and he got it open i dont know how more freezing rain and snow tonight so might have same prob tomorrow by the way my other cad went back in the shop had low coolant message crack ine side rad tank plus the fan motor dropped its fan this will be the 3rd one

I use stick lubricant (contains silicone) and run a heavy bead around the door seal. Beeswax works well too. Comes in a jar and just apply with finger. After closing the door, I usually apply a bead to the top of the door crack where it meets the roof line. You'll be glad you did if you're expecting a lot of freezing rain. You might think you're making a mess but both products wear off after a couple days, especially if it's cold, and no harm to seal or finish.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I use stick lubricant (contains silicone) and run a heavy bead around the door seal. Beeswax works well too. Comes in a jar and just apply with finger. After closing the door, I usually apply a bead to the top of the door crack where it meets the roof line. You'll be glad you did if you're expecting a lot of freezing rain. You might think you're making a mess but both products wear off after a couple days, especially if it's cold, and no harm to seal or finish.

Given that Regis, lives in the lake affect snow capital of the world, this is valuable information, :lol: In 1989, I appraised a mall in Syracuse, and they told me that in a typical winter they get +100 inches of snow, so that roofs are built to withstand the weight. That said, I think the Syracuse Carrier Dome collapsed, Regis can you verify that?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Given that Regis, lives in the lake affect snow capital of the world, this is valuable information, :lol: In 1989, I appraised a mall in Syracuse, and they told me that in a typical winter they get +100 inches of snow, so that roofs are built to withstand the weight. That said, I think the Syracuse Carrier Dome collapsed, Regis can you verify that?

I almost forgot about that. Yes the dome did collapse under the weight of excessive snow. Pulaski (about 45 minutes north of Syracuse) is the lake effect capital. Here's a good example of the amount of snow they get. Last year they had 9 ft of snow in less than a week. Then before the week was over they had 3 more feet during the over night.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I almost forgot about that. Yes the dome did collapse under the weight of excessive snow. Pulaski (about 45 minutes north of Syracuse) is the lake effect capital. Here's a good example of the amount of snow they get. Last year they had 9 ft of snow in less than a week. Then before the week was over they had 3 more feet during the over night.

Man, that's nuts. I thought the snow was bad here in Minnesota. At the end of a winter season we typically have about five or six feet of snow on the grass at the end of the driveway from shoveling/snowblowing the snow off the driveway.

It was so cold here the last couple days that my windows didn't want to go down. The high a couple days ago was -1F with overnight lows of -18 plus the windchill. We currently have a heatwave with a temp of 12F, and my windows work again :lol:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived