CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Top Gear gives Tesla Motors a luke-warm Review

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Tesla was headed for the crapper to begin with. This review will probably help seal the coffin.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Actually it shows that this car is viable in an urban environment, albeit pretty much a toy because of its limited run time and long charge times. The charge time is consistent with using it to commute reasonable distances. The main thing it doesn't have is a small charging motor that runs from a butane tank or some such to avoid unscheduled tows between charges. It's amazing performance should give it a small niche market nonetheless. If they don't have a large production capacity that has a burn rate that brings down the financial structure like DeLorean did, it should make it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Over 6,000 lithium batteries weighting in at half a ton (imagine the heat they must generate), 50 mile range, dreadful charge time (16 hours according to the review). Doesn't sound too viable to me.

Actually, 55 miles on a race track seems likely to be at least 200 miles on the freeway. I think that the battery situation is a bit muddy, though. Laptop batteries used individually in great numbers doesn't make much sense to me. However, if this thing uses a 6-pack of Prius batteries, then that is more like it. I suspect that the latter is more likely. Batteries made for high drain rate and deep discharge, e.g. Prius batteries, have cooling built in. The cooling vents should be thre, and look like brake cooling vents in the bodywork, or like the engine cooling vents in mid-engine cars. Hey, your gas cars have radiators too.

Another alternative to quick turn-around that doesn't require two cars is two batteries. In a sports car, configure the battery as quick change. Then, the car could run close-circuit road races with the gas-powered cars.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived