CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front End Squeaking

MAC

I have front end squeaking and popping. It sounds like it could be the sway bar bushings but I'm not sure since I've never experienced this kind of noisy front end. Then I think maybe the springs are worn or maybe the strut mount bearing is shot. But then again, maybe ball joint. In other words, I'm not sure what it is. Then I hear a popping sound when I accelerate. When I make a quick left turn I hear a clear loud pop. When I'm simply accelerating there is a loud squeaking sound.

Sounds like more than one problem?

I would suspect the sway bar bushings. The squealing on acceleration sounds more like a slipping belt. Check the tensioner. Popping on acceleration could be a motor mount or a torque strut. Popping while turning could be a CV joint.

I would suspect the sway bar bushings. The squealing on acceleration sounds more like a slipping belt. Check the tensioner. Popping on acceleration could be a motor mount or a torque strut. Popping while turning could be a CV joint.

My belt is good. I believe the likely problem is one or both of the CV joints. Also, I replaced both torque struts in September and I don't believe it's a motor mount since I don't get engine hop when I shift from drive to reverse with the brake depressed. I've replaced the front mount so I'm familiar with the symptoms. But the popping continues. The only other possibility is that the popping is due to a deteriorated (as in rusted out) Control Arm bushing shaft hole in the frame. When I replaced the CA bushings I noticed the hole the shaft goes through was enlarged. The popping possibly could be due to too much play and the shaft is hitting metal? But I tightened the bushing nut which should pretty much eliminate play even with a worn shaft hole. So, I'm skeptical about this as the answer. Now, even when moving slowly while turning I hear a loud pop. When braking and accelerating from a standing position I hear a popping sound. I'm going to check the CV joints. Any pointers on the best way to do it?

• 2 months later...

i have a 2003 cadillac escalade esv. i also have that problem. when i shift from park to reverce or from drive to reverse i hear and i can actually feel the poping. also when i drive on un even roads i hear the squeaking in the right front end of my truck. i cheked it out. and i found out that a plastic bushing was weared out. so thats what makes the squeaking sound. am sure of this because i tried putting some W40 liquid and it stops the squaking for a while. then when the w40 dryes it starts making the sound. i need to replace the bushings. and the poping sound. my uncle saids its just the motor mount but i think its the transmission. what do you think? :(

i have a 2003 cadillac escalade esv. i also have that problem. when i shift from park to reverce or from drive to reverse i hear and i can actually feel the poping. also when i drive on un even roads i hear the squeaking in the right front end of my truck. i cheked it out. and i found out that a plastic bushing was weared out. so thats what makes the squeaking sound. am sure of this because i tried putting some W40 liquid and it stops the squaking for a while. then when the w40 dryes it starts making the sound. i need to replace the bushings. and the poping sound. my uncle saids its just the motor mount but i think its the transmission. what do you think? :(

On a RWD vehicle, a clunk when shifting from park to reverse or reverse to drive usually is a bad universal joint on the driveshaft.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A bad U-joint can easily turn into a dropped drive shaft and a tow job. It's also easily diagnosed from under the car by blocking the wheels, putting the transmission in neutral, and reaching up and wriggling the drive shaft.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived