CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Why won't my distributor drop?

Dave in Texas

For some reason my distributor won't drop past the o-ring. I pulled the oil-pump shaft to make sure the fit wasn't the problem. The fit was tight. I tried installing the clamp under a little pressure from the nut and turned the engine by hand, but that didn't work. I've got a big hammer, but thought I'd ask for some advice before using the pursuader......

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

The O-ring has apparently swollen a bit. If you use the hammer you will likely cut it. I would get a new one. If that isn't an option, you might try compressing the O ring with a hose clamp just before you put the distributor in. There are other tricks such as warming the O ring up with hot water; let's see what others here have to say.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Nevermind....all better now. I guess I just had to get away from it for awhile. Did exactly what I'd been doing all the time to line up the shaft with the pump-shaft.....and this time I moved it just right. Plop! lol Thought I'd lost my touch!

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Congratulations on your prudence, in having the patience to do the job right.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived