CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cold car. Can´t use the shift control on SRS-99

Hi. New exiting problem :huh: . When the car is cold, in morning. I can´t move the shift control from "park" position.

I have the brake pedal activated and the brake lights is on.

But I have to wait 30-60 sek before a new try. Why??

Hi. New exiting problem :huh: . When the car is cold, in morning. I can´t move the shift control from "park" position.

I have the brake pedal activated and the brake lights is on.

But I have to wait 30-60 sek before a new try. Why??

What do you mean you need to wait 60 seconds before a new try, are you getting an error message? What happens?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hi again! What I try to say (write) is. I try with 5 sec. space to move the shifter to the right but it´s locked until 30-60 seconds it lock up. No error message. I was thinking that i could be because the idle "RPM" are to high during the first start up of cold engine ???

More likely the brake interface switch is not getting a clear signal through I would think. I don't know of another interface that would prevent you from moving the gear selector.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a fairly common cold weather problem. A cable (like for bicycle brakes) runs between the ignition switch and the shifter. Of course being such a complicated car, even this cable is complicated as it contains a non-replaceable and non serviceable (according to GM) solenoid. As best as I can tell the normal state of this solenoid prevents the cable from extending thus preventing the shifter from moving sideways out of park.

Since similar complaints always seem to begin with "in cold weather", I have a feeling that lubrication is the real problem and it's probably lube inside the "integral, non-serviceable" solenolid module.

You can access the cable and solenoid by removing the shifter trim plate. It's ahead (towards front of car) of the shifter and connects to a large, light orange piece of plastic on the right side. The solenoid module is a big bulge in the cable. Be aware that export vehicles had a theft prevention option that can make accessing the cable very difficult. If you see a metal plate ahead of the shifter (secured by a funky security fastener) then you have that option. While removing the plate just requires the proper security bit, replacing the cable assembly becomes a major pain as the entire dash and instrument panel carrier must be removed! Without the security option, it's still a bit of a pain, but nothing terrible.

It might be worth the time to check the contacts of the NSBU 10A fuse, and the Park Brake relay (both in the rear underseat rely box). Any trace of oxidation or corrosion could introduce a noticeable delay in circuit operation.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hi again! What I try to say (write) is. I try with 5 sec. space to move the shifter to the right but it´s locked until 30-60 seconds it lock up. No error message. I was thinking that i could be because the idle "RPM" are to high during the first start up of cold engine ???

Don't believe it can have anything to do with engine speed since you can move the shifter with the key in the "on" position, engine off and foot on brake.

Hi!

The result: I looked at the wire from the ignition key it worked okay. I measured on the electrical wiring to the solenoid and it worked okay and was activated when the brake pedal was pushed. I fill the solenoid up with WD 40, similar to CRC 556 and let it worked during the night. The day after it was minus 9 degrees Celsius in Sweden and the shifter worked perfect. I believe that the grease was too old and hard, so the solenoid couldn’t move in low temperatures.

Thanks everybody for helping. Hope I could give you all, something back.

Regards Jonny

Archived