CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Buttons in steering wheel.

Hi over there!

I have a question about STS-99. How do I dissemble the steering wheel to dismount the buttons. The lightning doesn’t work. I will try to change the lamps inside.

I think I can do it because I have earlier worked professional to repair car stereo.

Regards Jonny.

Pull the air bag fuse under the rear seat. Remove the upper and lower column shrouds. There are 4 release pins on the back side (you can see them with a mirror). Use a flat bladed screwdriver and twist it 90 deg. to push the pin to the release position. When all 4 are released you can remove the air bag. If I remember correctly there are screws on the back side to remove the individual switches. The air bag just snaps back in on reinstallation.

Thanks Ranger!

Now it was a lot easier. But not quite easy. The upper and lower column shrouds was most difficult to dismount.

The easiest for me was to change the lamp inside the buttons.

It was a small 12 volt lamp that has to be soldered in. Now they lights so fine, in the night.

Yeah, I found the shrouds to be a PITA as well, especially the first time. Once you figure it out it's pretty easy the second time.

I had no problem removing mine (to replace the switch light bulbs) without removing the shrouds. From the removal instructions I bet it did make replacing the bulbs seem a pleasure!

Archived