CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bought A Caddy Today ... Sort of

Here's the story.

My stepdad is a Cadillac purist. He owned a Caddy dealer from 1975-85 ... the bad old days of diesels and variable displacement 368 motors.

He has a deal whereby he can purchase a new Cadillac every year for dealer cost.

Last spring, he pretty much lost his fortune when his trucking firm went into receivership. Tough to start over at 81 years of age.

Two months ago, one of the local Chrysler mechanics came into my place of business. We chatted about cars, I mentioned my love for Cadillacs.

He told me that his dad had recently passed away, and he had a 2004 white Deville in his garage, with dark blue leather. Here's the kicker .....

only 33,000 klm's, or 20,000 miles. He was trying to sell it through the newspaper, but our town is pretty remote, with a limited market.

He had received no nibbles.

His dealership offered to send it through the dealer auction, but V8 Devilles were pulling low numbers, even with superb mileage.

I made note of the conversation, and went on with life.

I bumped into the seller again yesterday, and asked if he'd sold the car ... no, it was stored in his mother's garage, under a car cover.

I drove out to look at it ... the car is perfect, and I'm really anal about cars. This thing is pretty much brand new ... barely broken in.

Its a base Deville, no roof. But, it has pretty much everything you could want ... airconditioned seats, great sterio, just a nice car.

Well, my stepdad currently owns a 2005 Deville, same white colour, beige interior, but with 178,000 klms.

He can no longer afford a new Cadillac, so this will give his one final opportunity to own a virtually new Deville.

I told the seller the car is worth $11k to me ... I'll do the safety. He discussed it with his mother, called me today and accepted.

I pick it up and deliver to my stepdad tomorrow. The local Cadillac dealer told me they would've marketed the car for around $20k,

but that it could take a long time to find the right buyer ... someone who wants a new Deville which is 4.5 years old.

Me ... I'm still driving a used Lexus. I wanted the Deville for myself, but I'm glad I got it for my stepdad. He's a proud man,

and doesn't talk about his failed business. This new car has definitely put a jump back into his step. I can always get my next

Cadillac a little later in life.

I can't think of a better deal than a virtually new Deville for $11k.

I'm not worried about the authenticity of the car .... I met the family, and I've known the seller for many years.

I'm looking forward to driving the car up to my mother's house tomorrow.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

:yupi3ti: Excellent work Ted!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thanks, guys.

Point of the thread was just to drive home what a great buy these cars are ....

but, yeah, the old boy had a pretty big grin on his face today.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived