CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've got a 2002 SLS with 103K miles on it. I recently had the "COOLANT LOW" warning come up on the DIC. Refilled with some green stuff I had in the garage (should I have used the original coolant?). Drove it a week or so then smelled something burning, stopped somewhere and let the car idle in the street. When I came back I noticed smoke from under the hood and a small puddle beneath the car. It was late and dark, so I parked it and came back the next day.

Put some more of the green coolant in it and drove it to a mechanic (not a dealership). He took a look at it and said it was leaking somewhere between the gaskets and the oil pan. My mechanic thinks its a cracked block, but won't be sure without tearing into it further.

About a year and a half earlier, it overheated and I had both head gaskets replaced by the dealership (head bolts pulled, time sert head bolt holes, replace radiator assy, side tank blown out). I had 78K miles on it at the time and it was still under warranty.

I should mention that outside of oil changes and brakes I am an automotive moron. Advice anyone? Sorry for being long winded.

I've got a 2002 SLS with 103K miles on it. I recently had the "COOLANT LOW" warning come up on the DIC. Refilled with some green stuff I had in the garage (should I have used the original coolant?). Drove it a week or so then smelled something burning, stopped somewhere and let the car idle in the street. When I came back I noticed smoke from under the hood and a small puddle beneath the car. It was late and dark, so I parked it and came back the next day.

Put some more of the green coolant in it and drove it to a mechanic (not a dealership). He took a look at it and said it was leaking somewhere between the gaskets and the oil pan. My mechanic thinks its a cracked block, but won't be sure without tearing into it further.

About a year and a half earlier, it overheated and I had both head gaskets replaced by the dealership (head bolts pulled, time sert head bolt holes, replace radiator assy, side tank blown out). I had 78K miles on it at the time and it was still under warranty.

I should mention that outside of oil changes and brakes I am an automotive moron. Advice anyone? Sorry for being long winded.

Not sure what your problem could be but I don't think you should have added the green antifreeze unless it had already been totally switched to green. The orange antifreeze (Dex-Cool) and green antifreeze do not play well together. :rolleyes:

Wornslick

If the block was Timeserted, you can probably rule out the head gaskets. Cracked blocks are very rare. Your description of "between the gaskets and the oil pan" is vague to say the least.

You DO need to flush that mixed coolant and put Dex back (or it's equivalent) in it.

If the block was Timeserted, you can probably rule out the head gaskets. Cracked blocks are very rare. Your description of "between the gaskets and the oil pan" is vague to say the least.

You DO need to flush that mixed coolant and put Dex back (or it's equivalent) in it.

I totally agree about flushing the mixed coolant, but....I thought once it was contaminated with GREEN... you couldn't go back to DEXCOOL.

Posted Image

Well, you can go back, but supposedly no longer can go 5 yrs/100K between changes. In his case, he just topped off with green so I'm not sure if that applies or not.

Archived