CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Now it just Grinds!!

EJPut

Okay, I fixed my leaky fuel rail. I replaced the o-ring retainer and o-ring and it stopped the leak. I removed all the fuel from the intake manifold, bumped the engine a couple of weeks ago to blow out fuel, which it did, once, but the second time it just made a grinding noise. So today, I buttoned up the intake manifold and thought I would give it another bump for good measure with the plugs out......no luck, just grinding. I removed the accessory belt and moved the crankcase pulley, that seems okay, it moved back and forth. Tried to bump it again.....grinding/screeching??? The sound it makes is like when you start your car and accidently try to start it again, it will make that screeching sound, that is the sound I am experiencing.

Should I:

1) Put the plugs in and try to start?

2) Check starter, it may be spent?

3) Charge battery(I tried to start it quite a bit before this, maybe it is weak)

4) Something else???

Thanks for the help, hopefully after this I will have it running after 4 weeks!!!!!!!

Eric <_<

If the crankshaft turns without a problem and the battery is charged, I would guess the starter is bad. It sounds like the starter solenoid is not activating properly causing the pinion to not fully engage the flywheel/ring gear causing the grinding sound.

Good Luck

MAC

I would check the Battery first, may not be strong enough to engage the starter into the flywheel. Put a DC volt meter on the Batt and check voltage, then have someone try to turn it over and watch the voltage again and see what kind of voltage drop you get. Or just put some jumper cables on it and try to turn it over.

Jeff

Thanks a lot for the info. You are right about the oil, I smelled the dipstick the other day and it smelled like gas, definately an oil change is necessary. I will check the starter, charge battery and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Eric

Make sure the starter is tight and aligned. If it was just put in or if a bolt broke cause it sounds like the gear isn't engaging properly with the flywheel. It could be cause one is stripped

Took out starter and the problem was very obvious. I noticed that half of the cover the goes over the ring/gear fly wheel was sheared off and resting on the fly wheel!!!! Does anyone know if they will take this back for a core charge like this??

That is exactly what it was. I have already replaced it and it starts!!!!! It blew out white smoke for a bit but it doesn't any longer. Still runs kind of rough, I have to get the oil changed. Does anyone know if the new starter will smell for a little bit before being broken in? I have this smell I can't identify, I am only quessing it is the starter. Hopefully it will return to normal soon. Thanks for the help.

The starter is designed to break apart in lock up issues. Much better to have a cracked starter then a cracked engine block.

Archived