CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

88 Caddy ac compressor: which one is it?

Gentlemen,

The model number on the Harrison compressor is 1136007. Is this the HR-6-HE compressor?

Does anyone know which other GM cars used this model so I can search the local

junk yards for another unit?

This one just stopped compressing yesterday, one month after converting to

134a. Up to then it worked very good. I can now easily spin the clutch plate

with my finger.

Thanks

Bill

When you converted to R-134a, did you flush the system and use PAG or POE oil? Or was a Walmart "Compressor Death Kit" used?

I don't think the compressor is the HR-6 - that model was used starting with the '94 model year for R-134a from the factory. You probably have a DA-6 or a variant of the R-4 compressor. Can you describe the physical size of the compressor?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ester oil. I did not flush the condenser or evap because the system was working good (reportedly) before it was opened up due to engine repair. The accum was empty. Replaced all seals and orifice/filter. Pressure tested at 90psi for 4 hours. Vacuum tested for 1 hour at 28.5psi., then installed 8.5oz. ester oil, (Interdynamics); then approx 30-31oz. of 134a.

The compressor looks like this:

http://www.glocktech.net/b/compressor.htm

I'm not sure if the compressor is the OEM unit. Car has 144K on the ODO.

However, I would like to replace the compressor with a 134a unit. Which ones would fit?

Bill

Bill,

The photos were small in size so it was difficult to tell for certain but it looks like a DA-6 compressor. An HR-6 might fit....

I would suggest a quality remanufactured compressor over a junkyard special - forget the chain store remans - especially the "Four Siezens" brand. I'd also flush the evaporator and condenser and any lines that do not have a muffler. Replace the accumulator as well to get fresh dessicant into the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That appears to be the part no. for the compressor. I would verify the part no. with a Cadillac dealer's parts counter.

www.gmotors.com

www.gmpartsdirect.com

Are two sources for GM parts on the web.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin

It is in fact an HR-6 HE. I throughly cleaned the label and used a magnifing glass to read it. Crest Cadillac (Plano, TX) dealer says that the unit is "discontinued".

As previously noted by others, I too have had bad luck with Autozone remans.

Anyone know if this unit is used in other late 80's vintage GM cars?

Yeah, my Four Seasons reman quit after only two ;)

Try www.acsource.com for parts (I am not affiliated with them in any way but I was pleased with their service). You should have flushed and replaced the accumulator when you converted to 134a, now you probably have a system full of black death, which may cost you your condenser.

Flush, flush and then flush some more, make sure no residue and debris from the old compressor are left in the lines and change the accumulator and orifice tube. Also make sure that no part of the system is plugged. A good idea is to install an inline filter just before the compressor on the low side, just to protect the new comp. One dangerous debris trap in your ac system is the muffler on the high side, just after the compressor, you should probably remove it altogether, as it is very hard to guarantee its cleanliness after a compressor failure.

I don't think that it makes any difference in a clean system if you use PAG or ester oil, but in a retrofit it is probably safer to use ester.

Good luck

Nacho

Archived