CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Don't want a "Hot Rod" caddy

Ike

The rear-end of my '97 STS has decided to go "Hot Rod" by jacking itself up as high as it will go. Not only does it now ride like a log wagon it looks stupid. I have ran the diagnostics using the off and warmer button on the HVAC control panel. The only code that came up was a "RSS C1738" in history. I hesitate to take it to my local Caddy dealership because they are idiots (last time I had my car in to replace the brake light/turn signal switch in the steering wheel, I had to take it back three times to get the wheel put back on straight, then have the stalk reconnected, then have the airbag power wire rerouted as the wheel would get stuck at certain positions) as well as liars and crooks (which I won't even get into). The next closest Cadillac dealership to me is over an hour away. And as most of you already know, any other reputable garages in the area don't want any part of fixing a Cadillac. Is there any possibility I might be able to find and fix this problem myself? I have access to basic handtools and a DMM. Can anybody offer me some help? I really can't afford to shell out several hundred bucks to the dealership to make an attempt at fixing it.

It sounds like it has something to do with the exhast valve on the ELC compressor or the level control linkage. I'd slide under the back end and have a look. Might find a loose wire or linkage. May have to pull the compressor and do some bench testing.

The rear-end of my '97 STS has decided to go "Hot Rod" by jacking itself up as high as it will go. Not only does it now ride like a log wagon it looks stupid. I have ran the diagnostics using the off and warmer button on the HVAC control panel. The only code that came up was a "RSS C1738" in history. I hesitate to take it to my local Caddy dealership because they are idiots (last time I had my car in to replace the brake light/turn signal switch in the steering wheel, I had to take it back three times to get the wheel put back on straight, then have the stalk reconnected, then have the airbag power wire rerouted as the wheel would get stuck at certain positions) as well as liars and crooks (which I won't even get into). The next closest Cadillac dealership to me is over an hour away. And as most of you already know, any other reputable garages in the area don't want any part of fixing a Cadillac. Is there any possibility I might be able to find and fix this problem myself? I have access to basic handtools and a DMM. Can anybody offer me some help? I really can't afford to shell out several hundred bucks to the dealership to make an attempt at fixing it.

Why do you find the need to use a dealership?

Your vehicle is well outside of the warranty so you can actually use, and have better results, if you find a good, local mechanic.

Where do you live? Maybe someone on this group can advise you of a good local mechanic where you can take your car.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

lol...I know EXACTLY what you are talking about Ike....Your car looks similar to a low rider with hydraulics right? I saw a Seville that "appeared" to have a hydro system installed...(the rear bumper was about 2ft higher than the front bumper) But every time I drove by it was at the same level...After 6 months I figured there was something wrong with the suspension....FYI: I had numerous problems with my old dealer.....I wont go into details, since It takes about a page and a half to explain.....I learned the hard way...Cadillac’s are phenomenal automobiles....however the SOME of the people that work on them put revenue ahead of integrity...and then there are those who are just "clueless". My advice: Buy a manual.... read it thoroughly and do the work yourself.....Make a post if you have any questions...Understanding how your caddy works & working on it yourself is as much fun as driving it...as far as im concerned...acklac

A.J.

Archived