CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Visit to the dealer

GOOB

took my 93 seville to the dealer this morning to have the a/c recharged. afterwards, i noticed that my drivers door seemed to be "sticking" a little when i opened it but i didn't really pay it any attention. well, while picking my daughter up from daycare, i decided to do a quick troubleshoot and i noticed the bottom of the door panel was not fully seated and was catching. i open and closed the door a couple of times and the speaker cover fell off!!! i called back and of course they are denying having touched it.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THE DOOR PANEL NEEDS TO BE TOUCHED TO RECHARGE THE A/C!!!!!!!!

took my 93 seville to the dealer this morning to have the a/c recharged.  afterwards, i noticed that my drivers door seemed to be "sticking" a little when i opened it but i didn't really pay it any attention.  well, while picking my daughter up from daycare, i decided to do a quick troubleshoot and i noticed the bottom of the door panel was not fully seated and was catching.  i open and closed the door a couple of times and the speaker cover fell off!!!  i called back and of course they are denying having touched it. 

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THE DOOR PANEL NEEDS TO BE TOUCHED TO RECHARGE THE A/C!!!!!!!!

This is so typical. We see it all time. We do the A/C recharge, and all of a sudden, we are responsible for everything else that's falling apart on your vehicle. Unbelievable!!

Ian

This is so typical. We see it all time. We do the A/C recharge, and all of a sudden, we are responsible for everything else that's falling apart on your vehicle. Unbelievable!!

Ian

who are you?!?!?!?

stop screwing it up and you will stop seeing it.

very believable!

I think what Ian meant is that the door issue may have been coincidental with your visit, not caused by the dealer/service facility. I can't think of a reason they would need to remove the door panel. Was any other service listed on your paperwork?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

who are you?!?!?!?

stop screwing it up and you will stop seeing it.

very believable!

I'm a mechanic that works in a dealership. Nobody screwed up your door, you have an 11 year old car, you take it in for A/C work, nobody is going to be taking your door panel or your speaker panel off. But of course, you are going to be quick to blame anyone. As I said, we see this all the time. "Oh, we did your rear brakes sir, and now your left front signal light isn't working? Of course, it must be our fault!" Which is why we do walk arounds on the vehicles as they are getting written up so some dishonest customer doesn't try to blame us for the scratch "that was already in their door" after they come pick up the vehicle!

Ian

Bruce,

To answer your question, all I told them to do was to recharge the A/C. No testing, no troubleshooting, no nothing...although he insisted. Anyway, when they called me and said I could pick it up, all he wanted to talk about were the history codes stored. I understand that there is NO reason to take off the door panel for A/C charge which is exactly why I need them to tell me what happened.

Ian,

Maybe I should have came to your dealership where everything is perfect and my door panel would not be an issue. There are numerous things that could have happened while they had the car. Hell, one of the drivers could have caught a pant leg on it or something while taking it back or bringing it back up front for me. Bottom line...Car goes in, no problems with panel, Car comes out, door panel screwed up. Come on.........

Truth is, your door panel was going to be loose then, whether you went to the dealer or not. Coincidentals happen all the time, and we are quick to blame someone because there didn't appear to be a problem before.

Ian,

Maybe I should have came to your dealership where everything is perfect and my door panel would not be an issue. There are numerous things that could have happened while they had the car. Hell, one of the drivers could have caught a pant leg on it or something while taking it back or bringing it back up front for me. Bottom line...Car goes in, no problems with panel, Car comes out, door panel screwed up. Come on.........

Hah, our dealership is far from perfect. We would probably have just fixed the thing so that we wouldn't have to listen you whining about it. It's often much easier to do that. Unfortunately, we can't make note of everything that is wrong with every vehicle before it gets in the shop, so we leave ourselves open to the customer that decides that some unrelated problem ought to get fixed by the dealership too.

Ian

Bruce,

To answer your question, all I told them to do was to recharge the A/C. No testing, no troubleshooting, no nothing...although he insisted. Anyway, when they called me and said I could pick it up, all he wanted to talk about were the history codes stored. I understand that there is NO reason to take off the door panel for A/C charge which is exactly why I need them to tell me what happened.

Ian,

Well, how did the dealership know about the stored codes in the computer? Did someone open the driver side door, sit in the vehicle and pull the codes? Maybe someone accidently kicked the door panel and dislodged it? These things happen.

I took my car a few days ago to the mechanic for them to replace the TPS and reprogram the old greyhound and low and behold, I find an oil smudge on my tan leather seats. I know one of the mechanics did it, I SAW HIM (two mechanics were working on the car at the same time). The owner of the shop apologized and recharged my AC, also replaced a leaking fitting on the AC, and didn't charge me for it. I'm stuck with the job of removing the oil smudge which won't be too easy but nonetheless, it happened and it's a sign of carelessness.

I watch the mechanics like a HAWK when they work on my car.

Accidents happen but when they do, the mechanics, if they are honest, should admit to it and offer to repair what they damaged.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I remember once taking my car in for an alignment and upon returning home checked under the front end and found a loose part hanging there. I was pissed. Went back all smug and asked if they had any "extra" parts lying around. The manager pointed out that it was a stabilizer bushing and they never had to touch it to do the alignment. I left there with egg on my face and my tail between my legs. Went to the parts store picked up the bushings and replaced them. Sometimes it IS coincidence, can't speak for your expirience. Only you can judge that.

i washed my car this weekend and while cleaning the door jams, there was no gap...NOOOOW, THERE IS. but not only is there a gap but after peering behind the panel through the gap, i noticed that "something" attached to the panel (plastic) is broken and just hanging. also, the plate for the power window controls is actually UNDER the "leather" around the edges and slides back and forth EASILY showing that it wasn't reinstalled correctly and convinced me that it was off for whatever reason.

if not for the two significants mentioned above, i probably would have just snapped it back in and kept on going. mixed up service write ups do happen. not that this is the case, but something happened and i don't want a big argument...just the truth.

i washed my car this weekend and while cleaning the door jams, there was no gap...NOOOOW, THERE IS. but not only is there a gap but after peering behind the panel through the gap, i noticed that "something" attached to the panel (plastic) is broken and just hanging. also, the plate for the power window controls is actually UNDER the "leather" around the edges and slides back and forth EASILY showing that it wasn't reinstalled correctly and convinced me that it was off for whatever reason.

if not for the two significants mentioned above, i probably would have just snapped it back in and kept on going. mixed up service write ups do happen. not that this is the case, but something happened and i don't want a big argument...just the truth.

A couple of years ago I brought my 88' Lincoln Mark VII LSC to PepBoys for new tires. Before I drove away, I checked the rims and hub finishing caps for damage. Sure enough, the young mechanic that worked on the car didn't know the caps had to be slide into the rim from the inside first before mounting. Instead, he put the caps on after mounting by hammer or mallet and managed to dent the right front cap. I immediately asked for the manager who summoned the young mechanic, and sure enough the mechanic admitted to damaging the cap. PepBoys reimbursed me the $60 for a new one when I brought in the original receipt.

Though I believe the mechanic could have dislodged the door panel, I also believe that it was likely a coincidence. The reason why is that I have a similar problem with my driver side door panel popping out due to the door being open and shut. The plastic fastener is not securely holding the upper outside corner of the bottom fabric panel. So as the door is repeatedly opened and closed the panel eventually pops out. I push it back in and drive on. I suggest this could be a possible answer. Eventually, I'll replace the fastener. As far as the plastic speaker covers, they’re pretty flimsily secured. I would take the speaker cover off and check to see if any of the fasteners are broken. If so, then I might be more suspicious as things break for a reason.

MAC

OOB...I feel your pain. I have been through alot of crap with a certain dealer...who has a HORRIBLE reputation around town (ask any and all Cadillac owners who they take there car to & how there service has been...you can learn alot from "owner to owner" chit-chat). Any way I had the following scenario occur so many times it wasn’t even funny : I would pick the car up for one thing and within days (most times minutes) something else would be noticeably wrong. It would take me about another page to explain all of the problems....but the problem below is the "final straw" so to say...and remember...there were NUMEROUS problems prior to this (heater core going out 4+ times, ignition went out....got it back and the turn signals didn’t work...etc.) any way after this incident I replaced the fuel pump myself and haven’t had ANY problems for almost a year....it seems the less I take it to the dealer the less problems I have...The sad thing is that these are truly great cars, but some scandalous / incompetent service team can make it appear that they are crap. (my step dad vowed never to buy another GM vehicle after all the problems I had with my car....but the problems stopped when I stopped taking my car to the dealership (which btw serviced GM/Cadillac...and Nissan and Lexus and anything and everything they could get there hands on)...he has since changed his mind....also I don’t mean to offend anyone...there are good tech's out there...I have the utmost respect for EVERYONE on this site..just remember there are people out there who are giving Cadillac (and you) a bad name........I am not one of them............................................................................

.....................................................I have had NUMEROUS problems with Cadillac/gm dealers....I will never let another person touch my car after the some of the experiences I went through....To sum things up my car would (slightly) overheat once in a while...(and would shut off the AC compressor...never go into limp mode) I took it in to have it serviced and the service manager told me the bolts had stripped......and guess what he told me next: I had to buy a new/used northstar...."do you want me to find you a new one?..."or I can maybe get a good price on a used one"....keep in mind that at this time I was well aware of the time-cert option...but I played dumb...."isn’t there anything you can do?" I asked....."nope...the engines shot...it needs to be replaced" I then mentioned that I'd sell the car before I put a $6000-$10,000 engine in it....his response "oh no...no..no .no ..dont sell the car.....trade it in on another one"....how shady is that...anyway to sum things up: I told him I didn’t want the work done, I got my car back took it too another gm/Cadillac dealer.....told them what was wrong and what I wanted done ....they said " we dont want anything to do with this car" : !!!! I then took it back to the shady dealer, who then admitted that they could infact do the time certs....They did the time certs.....And on the way back from picking it up the fuel pump went out.....Moral of the story..... make sure you go to a exclusive Cadillac dealer (Cadillac only) and make sure they are reputable...I found out later that these two dealers had major service problems....And I trash talk them to this day......I know there are good honest Cadillac/gm people out there (bbobb you are a god) and I want to thank them...But for all those who cheat,lie,steal..and sabotoge....(and give Cadillac a bad name) I hope you end up living in a tent on the edge of the river.....

A.J.

I took my wifes Caddy in for a recall one time and when I picked it up I just got in and never paid attention to detail. Well, when my wife drove it and come home she ask me how I managed to scratch the armrest leather to pieces. When I checked the armrest had about 2 nice scratches in the leather about 2 inches long. I did not remember seeing it when I picked it up, and I can't think of how I did it, so it was most likely done at the dealership. Well I took the blame anyway and was in the dog house for a while, she got over it and everythings back to normal.

I still think you should look for the remote camera or tracking device. :unsure:

I still think you should look for the remote camera or tracking device.

i found it...it was the little plastic thing i saw hanging last night. it fell off in my hand when i pulled out on the panel to get a better look.

actually, it is the little recess that the screw (behind the carpet on door) sits in...screw still attached! took some force to break that off.

GOOB - I can relate.

I picked my car up last week after it was at the dealer's for 4 days to repair the radio. When I walked out to my car, there was a large white scrape on the rear bumper, about 5" square. It's a black car so the scrape was very obvious and was large enough that whoever did it, had to know they did it. I pointed it out to the service manager and they did have their detail guy clean it up. Luckily it was mainly some other material on the bumper and not scraped down to the primer. Only two small scratches remain after they buffed it out and you pretty much have to know to look for them to see them.

I know that stuff happens so the fact that it occurred didn't bother me (too much). What did tick me off was that whoever did it had to know they did it. It should have been fixed before I ever got the car back. And second, the service manager, while walking out to the car, was already starting the damage control - "It's a public lot, lots of cars in and out, etc." However, once he saw it, he did do the right thing.

Dave

Every now and then I get something from the dealer. One time I had a door ding small and it looked like hell and it was in a position that a ding man could not get it out so they bumped out the door and refinished it. Another time This was the only time it ticked me off back in 95 I had a new deville the fuel pump went out so the car had to be towed in the tow truck driver locked the keys in the car and dropped the car off at the end of the write up bays and blocked up the service area. You could not get out where the car was parked One of the service writers and porters

tries to open the car with a slim jim tore but fron door window rubbers bent the tops on both front doors and scratced them up pretty good and even managed to get the roof and the front window pillar on the drivers side along with doing damage to tha dash board scratches in the wood trim. Hey stuff happens I wasn't angery until they were not going to tell me When I picked uo the car I caught it real quick and they repaired the car It just got me they were trying to blame the tow truck driver but who knws for sure but I was there when the tow truck driver dropped it of with the mechanic in the cadillac road side service truck,picking up a rental car at the dealer So it wasn't the tow truck.They fixed the car After that Now I do a good walk around visual inspection when I pick up the car.Nothing since but I did have some small scrapes on a back bumper not scratches just marked up that had to be rubbed out which i did the way they park the car with the back bumper close to a wall makes it so you can't see that in the pickup area the cars are backed in. Now I pull out a couple feet do the walk around and sometimes I find stuff not damage but when the changed the instrument cluster the air vent grill for the front defroster was not snapped down on the drivers side and you clould really notice it sticking up about 1/4 in. so I went back in the assist.service mgr. came out and just snapped it down I didn't wnat to try to set the clip incase I would break it or it was already broken just enough stuff to make you have a good look around before pulling away.All in all it does not upset me hey when you handle a large amount of cars stuff is going to happen as they say sh-- happens..

I think everyone can relate...

My Mom had got this thing in the mail from the Mercedes-Benz dealer for her to bring her 1979 Mercedes 280CE in for a free mechanical inspection. We do all our own work on our stuff but nothing's better than free. So we booked it in, take it down and they wrote up a page of parts that needed to be bought and replaced such as front and rear brake hoses, pads, rotors, etc. So we brought it home and inspected everything they said that it needed totalling nearly $2,400.00 in parts and labour. It needed pads, I'll give them that, however the rotors were darn near new...$93.45/pair x 2, hoses were fine both front and rear. We took off the rotors and took them to the service manager and asked if they looked to him if they needed to be replaced. He said that he would not have replaced them and that some mistake must have been made...yea...uhh huh ;). My Mom has not received another "Free Inspection" yet. Must have been a slow day around the Benz dealer <_< .

Spence

I agree....*smurf* does happen...but it turns into BULL-*smurf* when the dealer tries to deny/cover it up.

ack,

you hit the nail on the head...that is the point i was trying to make. i stopped by the dealer on my way home just to show them what i was talking about. spoke with the writer for a few minutes and showed him what i was talking about. his reply was "Sir, we serviced your A/C and there was no reason for anyone to mess with your door panel". my reply was, "That is my point, why is my door panel wedged and broken when all I asked you to do was charge my A/C". then i went to the service managers office and brought him out to the car. him and another mechanic (not the one who worked on the car) rambled on about the age of the car, etc. the mechanic continued on asking who had been working on the door and how did i know so much about how to take it off...insinuating that i took it off and broke it. my reply to that was, "this is not the first caddy i have owned". i let them know that i wasn't out for a new door panel or anything but i wanted someone to fess up to damaging the panel, be it by mistake or otherwise. so finally we just popped it back and i let him know that i could have done that but i wanted them to see that this was not something that comes from normal wear. i guess i will have to find a new establishment for service because i rarely have the time to do my own maintenance.

can't wait to get the customer service questionaire on this one.

• 4 weeks later...
A couple of years ago I brought my 88' Lincoln Mark VII LSC to PepBoys for new tires. Before I drove away, I checked the rims and hub finishing caps for damage...

Whenever I take mine anywhere where there's a remote possibility that the tires will come off, I take all the chrome center caps off and leave them at home. I can see someone taking a screwdriver to it and really chipping/scratching either the cap or the wheel (or both). I also have to "fix" the air pressure in the tires after I get the car back...they always "correct" it back to 30 psi, but I run them at around 35 or 36 pounds. What a pain in the buttsky. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived