CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 sts throddle is sticking

i have a 1997 sts with about 120k on it. car runs mint but im in a parking lot today doing a 3 point turn and the throddle sticks and slams intop gear because the rpm is at about 2500 when idiling. the entire way home i didnt have to hit the gas because once i let off the brake the car wanted to go. i then turned the car off and waited a few minutes, and it didnt have a problem, but later the same day the throddle stuck again. is there anything that i can do to avoid using a mechanic? i was thinking about lubing the throddle cable but i dont know if it will work with just a can of wd40. i appreciate any input. thank you...steve

The throttle cable was replaced on my previous 96 STS at under 100K.

As I recall you can (with the engine off) manually manipulate the throttle directly at the intake and see if it is sticking or jammed at that end. Not sure how difficult replacement of the cable is, as the dealer did it in my case.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The throttle cable was replaced on my previous 96 STS at under 100K.

As I recall you can (with the engine off) manually manipulate the throttle directly at the intake and see if it is sticking or jammed at that end. Not sure how difficult replacement of the cable is, as the dealer did it in my case.

Thank you Bruce...do you recall about how much that cost, i know inflation has drivin the price of labor and parts up im just looking for a ballpark figure.

Ok, now I feel geeky. Yes, I still have the book with receipts for repairs on my 96 STS. I do not have a cost for it, but the throttle cable was:

J5330 Cable, accelerator control (pedal to lever)

1 354150 Cable-ACC

They recorded 0.50 hrs of labor to replace under warranty.

Notes said:

Accl cable comming apart end pulled from holder replace accl cable J5330 .5 hrs tk 227

Mileage in: 90,607

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ok, now I feel geeky. Yes, I still have the book with receipts for repairs on my 96 STS. I do not have a cost for it, but the throttle cable was:

1 354150 Cable-ACC

Notes said:

Accl cable comming apart end pulled from holder replace accl cable J5330 .5 hrs tk 227

haha there is nothing wrong with keeping accurate records, thats actually very impressive. once again i thank you for the input.

1 354150 Cable-ACC

Notes said:

haha there is nothing wrong with keeping accurate records, thats actually very impressive. once again i thank you for the input.

ok so about 5 mins ago im sittin here and needed to relieve some stress and after reading about my car all evening i decided to take it out for some WOT. The car has never sounded better and as of right now the throddle is no longer sticking. i wonder if thats a lasting fix or not. a question i still have is when doing WOT, how many times do you repeat?? cause i like the sound of the engine so much ill do it 10 times in a row...i just dont want to over do it

Before you start replacing any parts tyr a good TB cleaning. I'd bet that it is all carboned up and that Is why it is sticking. Clean the TB bore, the backside of the throttle plate and the perimeter of it as well. I'll bet that solves your problem.

Before you start replacing any parts tyr a good TB cleaning. I'd bet that it is all carboned up and that Is why it is sticking. Clean the TB bore, the backside of the throttle plate and the perimeter of it as well. I'll bet that solves your problem.

im not that mechanically inclined...is tb throddle body? and is that where the electronic plug goes into as well as the throddle cable??

im not that mechanically inclined...is tb throddle body? and is that where the electronic plug goes into as well as the throddle cable??

Yes, my 96 needs its throttle body cleaned every six months or so, or it does what yours does, it races in gear and in neutral.

You need to clean the throttle body and the IAC, especially the IAC pindle and the port it sits in. Do a search here, if you don't find anything, I or someone will post the procedure. Buy GM upper engine cleaner (not the spray the liquid) and a couple of DETAIL brushes or tooth brushes. The IAC is held by tiny TORX bolts. Pay special attention to the REAR of the throttle plate and the walls of the throttle body where the plate contacts when its closed. DO not get a LOT of liquid into the intake, just use rags and tooth brushes dipped in the solvent. It will take about 30 minutes to do this job right.

Here is the throttle body with the black collar off of it, it is held in place by 4 screws, and you can see this view, this is immediatly after cleaning mine, I had my TB off, but you do not and should not take it off, hold the plate OPEN and clean the back, edges and walls

CrossoverJob055.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived