CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 sls puffs smoke

dell1554

I am using valvoline 10w30 .... so don't see an issue there.....I did check the fpr valve, and it was not pulling fuel, and did not smell like fuel in the vacuum line

as I said....it appears to be a little better now.....I will keep doing the WOT exercise....I have only had this car about 10000 miles.....so might take a little time to "retrain" the engine

OK.......had to go from Indy to Detroit today.......5 hour drive......did not notice any puffing until almost in Detroit.........again only after decellerating, and then pushing accelerator to resume.....puffs did not appear to be quite as bad, but none the less stilll there.....oil usage still normal.......where to go next?????

OK.......had to go from Indy to Detroit today.......5 hour drive......did not notice any puffing until almost in Detroit.........again only after decellerating, and then pushing accelerator to resume.....puffs did not appear to be quite as bad, but none the less stilll there.....oil usage still normal.......where to go next?????

On deceleration, the engine is under high vacuum load.

It appears that oil is somehow being sucked into the combustion chambers under this condition.

If it was a Chevy, I would say check the valve seals and valve guides, but I have not heard of valve seals or valve guides being a problem on N* engines.

Upon resuming acceleration, obviously, it is no longer under high vacuum and any oil sucked in is then burned and that is when you are seeing the puff of smoke.

The only other place I can see that the oil can come from, is up around the rings. But, again, the rings are not usually a problem on N* engines. I read all the time about 200,000 mile engines that don't smoke or use a lot of oil.

Maybe needs more WOT? :D:D

Posted Image

It's NOT just WOTs, did you do the WOT procedure as I described on the prior page?, I am not sure that you confirmed that.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...
where is the location of the pcv valve

On my 1995 it's on the engine by the firewall on the passenger side. Back by the rear plugs and the ignition coils. You might have to take off the beauty cover to see it. There should be a vacuum hose going to it, it simply pulls out.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived