CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

the new car model sub-topics

I'm not really liking the new model sub-forums for Escalade, DTS, STS, etc. I think they'd fit better in the main Cadillac discussion group. Under DTS for example there's a thread about wipers not working and I think that might apply to more models than just the DTS.

It also makes more work keeping up with new threads on the forum.

Any thoughts?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Be sure to use the "View New Posts" in the menu to the upper right to see any new posts since your last visit. I also added a link for this below the title of the main discussion forum to help people find it.

Tech questions that are not specific to a single model I agree belong in the main discussion forum. By splitting out topics that ARE specific to a given model it makes it easier for owners of those models to find information relevant to their Cadillac.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

But I think everything in the Seville/STS/SLS section could go in the main discussion area for instance... none of those threads seem to only apply to those models.

And I think it might be harder for people to get help, if everyone only reads the main discussion and their specific car's discussion and skips the rest. I think it's too time consuming to check every section, but I'll wait and see what others think.

EDIT: Look at the Companion Cars section for instance, no one posts in there. Ive seen those threads in the main Cadillac discussion area.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

I understand your argument. The zoology / classification of the current models is complex. The 2003 STS was rather like the 2009 DTS in many ways -- similar powertrain, suspension, chassis. The 2004-2009 STS is more like the 2004-2007 CTS and SRX for that matter, and quite different from the FWD DTS.

Although we could continue to have all or most of the posts in one forum, I think that there are advantages to having a bit more dispersion. I am open to inputs on how to segregate.

Perhaps it makes sense to have subforums by chassis:

Sigma II Platform vehicles:

Y Platform vehicles:

Sigma Platform vehicles:

G Platform vehicles:

but to most people those names might as well be Greek.

Then I also considered split by similar body+chassis but with name/year range:

+ Future Vehicles

+ Cadillac CTS / CTS-V / SRX / 2004+ STS / CTS Sport Wagon / CTS Coupe

+ Cadillac Seville / SLS / STS 2003 or prior, Deville, DHS / DLS / DTS

+ Cadillac XLR / XLR-V

+ Cadillac Escalade / ESV / EXT

+ Cadillac BLS, BLS Wagon

+ Companion Cars

Bruce

Bruce,

I pretty muth agree with Lothos about it all being split up.

I don't care for it.

It is hard to read and keep up with things with it like that.

I liked it all together.

But I am old and like things not to change much. :D

Your idea of splitting it into RANGES of cars, as in this excerpt from your post, copied and pasted below, makes a little more sense and might make it a little easier to keep up with.

I like that a LOT better than the way it is now.

Then I also considered split by similar body+chassis but with name/year range:

+ Future Vehicles

+ Cadillac XLR / XLR-V

+ Cadillac BLS, BLS Wagon

+ Companion Cars

Posted Image

Yes, I am liking that approach as well, because it groups vehicles that have basically similar make-up and hardware and so one would expect similar issues.

Keep in mind that 60% + of our readers don't visit every day, so one forum down the page is just too many messages to keep up with. By segregating messages *in a smart way* we can help them to find topics that are relevant. Some technical topics like

+ head gaskets

+ A/C

+ Tires

may also need their own subforums under General. So don't be surprised if we add those after we settle on the right car groupings.

Thanks to Lothos and Texas Jim for inputs; please anyone else feel free to chime in. The topic is not whether to have more categories, but rather what should they be?

Here is the plan so far:

+ Future Vehicles

+ Cadillac XLR / XLR-V

+ Cadillac BLS, BLS Wagon, new Smaller-than-CTS sedan, coupe, convertible

+ Companion Cars -- Buick, Corvette, Lasalle

Bruce

I have adjusted the taxonomy for the Forums by Specific model groups. Please let me know what you think of these groupings, and any classification errors I made.

Bruce

I am an old(er) man that does not embrace change.

The "sub-topics" idea is smelling like what I do not care for on cadillacforums.com/forums/.

It has become time-consuming here to decide where to click to see the most recent question/concern post without regard to year or model.

A new member would have to make a posting location decision that could easily be lost in the fog of war.

My hands-on experience is limited to a '98 Seville and a '04 Deville. The Service Manuals for those two vehicles tell me there are more mechanical similarities than differences. A sub-topic split could prevent the various model owners from sharing information.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I am an old(er) man that does not embrace change.

The "sub-topics" idea is smelling like what I do not care for on cadillacforums.com/forums/.

It has become time-consuming here to decide where to click to see the most recent question/concern post without regard to year or model.

A new member would have to make a posting location decision that could easily be lost in the fog of war.

My hands-on experience is limited to a '98 Seville and a '04 Deville. The Service Manuals for those two vehicles tell me there are more mechanical similarities than differences. A sub-topic split could prevent the various model owners from sharing information.

Click on 'View new Topics' to see ALL new topics since your last visit.

All of the 98 Seville .. 2004 Devilles are grouped together in one subforum here.

The "My Assistant" selection on the tool bar also has a lot of help in viewing things.

Bruce

I'm with the two Jims :lol:

The new classification for the sub topics is a little easier, but I still don't like it as much. The 60 degree v6 forum I was on for cutlass, regal, lumina, monte carlo etc was split up into three sections: Powertrain, Suspension / Body, and Electrical. It seemed to work pretty well.

I do like the photography section though. :D

Cheers!

Thank you for the input.

I am trying to think of the forum as people who are just arriving for the first time might see it. They have a problem with their Deville. Is there a place to post a problem with a Deville?

I am also thinking of the forum as the search engines see it. When google is preparing results, is this a good place for people to find help with an Escalade problem?

Finally, when people come to read about their car, where can they find information about their SRX? In a General forum they get lots of info that is not SRX specific.

I think the idea (now adopted) of organizing around the Cadillacs that are all in the same 'families' or share similar platforms as we are now makes a lot of sense. And I do see people who are posting for the first time posting into the correct categories.

Does the New Posts link to the upper right or the button I added to the main index (in the middle, to the center of the first subforum on the index) work for you?

Would you like to see this button somewhere else also?

Bruce

....Does the New Posts link to the upper right or the button I added to the main index (in the middle, to the center of the first subforum on the index) work for you?

Would you like to see this button somewhere else also?

Was there a change implemented in the scope of the "View New Posts" link today? A change that picked up on "new" posts in all sub-forums?

I don't remember that link behaving that way when I made my earlier comments.

Good move. Entering the board via the "index" page is the only way to fly.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

View New Topics always reads new topics from any forum or subforum. I have excluded some things from showing up in new topics, like the subforum with Ebay parts cars so it does not flood the new topic list.

Bruce

Archived