CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I am very unclear on this one, so I am listening for other responses. Cadillac's instructions on car care I think say just keep it clean and don't use any leather cleaner, conditioner, or preservation add-ons. I think the detailing sites recommend several products that they have found DO work well to care for and preserve. They describe leather as something you need to keep moisturized, etc. I am not sure, but I wanted to reply to your post.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 3 months later...

I asked a similar question a while ago and one suggestion that I got was to use dove soap. The kind that you shower with. Melt a bar in a bucket of water and use the mush to clean the seats.

I tried it out and it's worked pretty good so far.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I'll share (again) how I have been cleaning/treating automobile leather for many years.

Cleaning:

Use a vacuum with a crevice tool to remove any abrasive material from the folds and seams.

Use a damp cloth with warm water to remove any remaining surface dust.

Use a mild detergent in warm water to thoroughly clean the entire surface; some areas might require elbow grease. My favorite detergent is Woolite.

Remove/rinse any detergent with warm rinse water.

Towel dry. Completely dry!

Treatment:

Thoroughly and liberally coat the leather with Mink Oil applied with your bare hand. Mink Oil is available from shoe stores and leather repair shops.

Allow the Mink Oil to penetrate the leather for as long as you can (hours, if possible).

Towel off any excess Mink Oil.

Repeat in 6 months.

My approach is not for everyone, but I choose to avoid using any product or chemistry on my leather that I would not use on my own skin.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I just acquired a 2000 Deville with low mileage but very dirty leather seats, light tan in color.

I purchased a leather care and conditioner product made by Turtle Wax. It was not very effective.

I then tried a potion of DAWN dish soap and a little Bon-Ami cleanser applied with a damp, soft cloth and a soft toothbrush on the dirty areas. Then I washed the mixture off with a clean cloth dampened only with water followed by a dry soft cloth to dry the seats. Next I applied the turtle wax leather product and the seats are looking good. I don't know if I did any harm to the leather but I guess time will tell.

If there is a better product or a better way, I would be definitely interested in checking that out.

I just acquired a 2000 Deville with low mileage but very dirty leather seats, light tan in color.

I purchased a leather care and conditioner product made by Turtle Wax. It was not very effective.

I then tried a potion of DAWN dish soap and a little Bon-Ami cleanser applied with a damp, soft cloth and a soft toothbrush on the dirty areas. Then I washed the mixture off with a clean cloth dampened only with water followed by a dry soft cloth to dry the seats. Next I applied the turtle wax leather product and the seats are looking good. I don't know if I did any harm to the leather but I guess time will tell.

If there is a better product or a better way, I would be definitely interested in checking that out.

• 6 months later...

lots of product are available in market but all doesn't work to extent we want,

the best process i came to search for leather cleaning is

Cleaning:

Use a vacuum with a crevice tool to remove any abrasive material from the folds and seams.

Use a damp cloth with warm water to remove any remaining surface dust.

Use a mild detergent in warm water to thoroughly clean the entire surface; some areas might require elbow grease. My favorite detergent is Woolite.

Remove/rinse any detergent with warm rinse water.

Towel dry. Completely dry!

Treatment:

Thoroughly and liberally coat the leather with Mink Oil applied with your bare hand. Mink Oil is available from shoe stores and leather repair shops.

Allow the Mink Oil to penetrate the leather for as long as you can (hours, if possible).

Towel off any excess Mink Oil.

Repeat in 6 months.

lisa

Hello all. Im not 100% sure about auto leather but assumeing that leather is leather the bast thing to preserver it is mink oil. i use it one my pricey leather jackets, on my work boots,belts and gun holsters. best to wait till a sunny day, park your car were the sun will shine on the seats to get them good and warm. apply the oil to the seats. dont glob it on but use plenty of it. let it sit in the sun. the warmer the seats and oil the better it will work. Best to do it when you can let the car set all day and over night. The next day rub off excess oil. most likely you will have to use a towel to sit on for a few days as there will be some left over oil and you dont want to walk around with a damp oily pants or shirt back lol. But yea that mink oil is good stuff.

Archived