CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. That annoying little analog clock on the left side of the instrument cluster (next to the tach) is off by 6 minutes from the time displayed on the DIC. Everything I read tells me I have to set the analog clock by setting the digital one. Problem is, I am STILL 6 minutes off from the time displayed on the DIC. Every week that goes by, I notice the analog clock losing more and more time. Here are my questions.

A ) How can I set the analog clock independently of the DIC clock?

B ) What is causing the analog clock to lose time, and how to I remedy this problem?

I know it's not a serious issue, but as silly as it was for Cadillac to put an analog clock in the instrument cluster when there's a digital version in the DIC, I would at least like the stupid thing to read the correct time. It's incredibly annoying. (It's the details that count, and Cadillac should have known better!)

Any help is tremendously appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mallow03CTS

Analog Clock in Instrument Cluster Displays Incorrect Time - appearance display inaccurate indicator IP IPC #PI01285A - (Aug 14, 2003)

Analog Clock in Instrument Cluster Displays Incorrect Time

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

Analog clock displays incorrect time on the instrument cluster.

Recommendation/Instructions:

There are two scenarios with the clock. If the clock loses and gains time in increments of 1,2,3, minutes etc., this is a problem with the stepper motor that runs the clock. The instrument cluster needs to be replaced. If the clock is always off in the same amount of time (3 minutes for example), this is a variation in the assembly of the clock at the supplier. The hands on the clock can physically be moved to the correct time or accepting that the clock is always going to be off. Replacing the cluster in this instance will not fix the incorrect time.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:

(03 Cadillac CTS)

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 5 months later...
I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. That annoying little analog clock on the left side of the instrument cluster (next to the tach) is off by 6 minutes from the time displayed on the DIC. Everything I read tells me I have to set the analog clock by setting the digital one. Problem is, I am STILL 6 minutes off from the time displayed on the DIC. Every week that goes by, I notice the analog clock losing more and more time. Here are my questions.

B ) What is causing the analog clock to lose time, and how to I remedy this problem?

I know it's not a serious issue, but as silly as it was for Cadillac to put an analog clock in the instrument cluster when there's a digital version in the DIC, I would at least like the stupid thing to read the correct time. It's incredibly annoying. (It's the details that count, and Cadillac should have known better!)

Sincerely,

Mallow03CTS

Sincerely,

Mallow03CTS

Good luck with this one. Under warranty Cadillac replaced the whole dash and it still had the same problem --- It used to be off 3 to 5 minutes and now after 5years it has morphed to more than 15... The technician's response -- "there is nothing that can be done to fix it" I have learned to live with the fact that this is one of about a dozen irritating issues with this car -- don't get me started. The larger question is --- why would they even put in an analog clock with a digital? How hard would it have been to put a tempature guage in place of that worthless clock?

Good luck with this one. Under warranty Cadillac replaced the whole dash and it still had the same problem --- It used to be off 3 to 5 minutes and now after 5years it has morphed to more than 15... The technician's response -- "there is nothing that can be done to fix it" I have learned to live with the fact that this is one of about a dozen irritating issues with this car -- don't get me started. The larger question is --- why would they even put in an analog clock with a digital? How hard would it have been to put a tempature guage in place of that worthless clock?

You might try this....

If the clock is always off in the same amount of time (3 minutes for example), this is a variation in the assembly of the clock at the supplier. The hands on the clock can physically be moved to the correct time or accepting that the clock is always going to be off. Replacing the cluster in this instance will not fix the incorrect time.

Posted Image

Archived