CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know if it is possible to pull the front head without pulling the engine?

You can do the front head without removing the engine, you will need to timesert the block before reinstalling the head.

This is very odd that your valve is stuck, we have never seen this before. Do you think that carbon is holding it open or is it frozen? I wonder why the CAM lobe was affected by this, if the valve was stuck down?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Well, the valve is not all the way down (open) a little more than halfway open. The cam is scratched from where it was hitting the jagged edge of the lifter (which I guess was my "lifter noise")

I guess the cam busted the lifter by hitting it when the engine was turning. Now I know why the car seemed strained when I originally was cranking it when this thread firat started. It was the cam lobe dragging over that lifter. And I assume she popped within the first time or two I actually started it. Because after the 1st time she ran for more than 10-15 seconds at a time she was all of a sudden spinning over much more freely.

I still do not understand why it did not start for the guys I got it from before they sprayed that mess into the cylinders.

Wish I had grabbed the car sooner...oh well...still would have the current issue anyway.

The guys I bought her from got the caddi from an indoor storage facility. he car has a lien on the title, but due to Florida law a lien is null and void after 5 years as far as holding the title. DMV tells me it is way over 5 years old. (according to paper work inside the car, original owner was 81 when he bought the car in Jan 98 and last registered it in 2004) GMAC says he owes money on the car...doesn't matter, it is legally mine now, my point is, she could possibly have been sitting for 4 years or more before these guys got her and tried to start her up.

I think the main reason I am having such rotten luck is because I have this near spotless Deville with only 82k and grabbed her off of Ebay for $520

Now I have driven her and the drivetrain (sans the valvetrain) is smooth as silk. A/C works and the air suspension works as well.

Anyway...sorry I get long winded at times.

I truly do appreciate all the input and advice. I am going to try to loosen the valve and put her back together before going as far as pulling the head...Might as well pull the engine and do the head gaskets at that point.

Ronnie

97 Deville

95 Town Car

93 Cutlass Conv

Ill bet the gas was old from standing 4+ years, and that was the reason it would not start

$520?, did the ad state the engine would not start?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes, and I even got their # and talked to them about what they knew about the car and what they had tried before I even bid on it.

Only thing missing is the center caps. They said they were there when they bought it but they grew legs sitting behind thier store where they had it parked at.

Plus I know they had well over that in it. They paid around 1k at the auction, then the tow bill plus $280 to have keys made.

I grabbed a dolly from U-Haul and towed it home with my Town Car...

We were in the process of moving and the car just happened to be located in the same city we were moving to. Was meant to be :)

Ronnie

97 Deville

95 Town Car

93 Cutlass Conv

I think the main reason I am having such rotten luck is because I have this near spotless Deville with only 82k and grabbed her off of Ebay for $520

Now I have driven her and the drivetrain (sans the valvetrain) is smooth as silk. A/C works and the air suspension works as well.

What a fantastic deal!!! What color is the exterior and interior?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yep, bad(stale) gas is the problem. I know, from experience as soon as the injector shoots the bad gas (varnish actually) on the valve, it sticks and then all kinds of bad things happen! I've had it happen to me twice- I'm a slow learner,LOL, both times resulting in bent pushrods only, thank GOD.

I hope your tank isn't half full of crud. I'll NEVER let gas set and then use it. It's waaaay too much work to repair the damage it causes!

Roger

What a fantastic deal!!! What color is the exterior and interior?

Not sure of the exact colors... Interior is like a Wine or Burgandy and the exterior is greyish silver but seems to have a purplish hue to it.

Yeah, will probably drop the tank and clean it well and check out the fuel pump and screen after getting her on the road.

Ronnie

97 Deville

95 Town Car

93 Cutlass Conv

Well you are doing a good job. I am impressed with your poise and persistence, keep up the good work, when you are done, you will have a great car. Get that digital camera going.

Talk to our time-serters about how to best remove the engine assembly. I know that KHE stated that he would NOT remove the engine from the top next time. We have a bunch of time-serters that belong in our Hall of Fame...

• 2 weeks later...

Just when you thought this post may be over with :)

O.K., got my new(used) cam and lifters this weekend.

Not in the position to do the heads right now, so just need to put this girl back together for the time bieng.

I am having no luck, can anyone find a photo of a spring compressor for the Northstar that can do the springs with the head in the car?

I am going to start pulling the front of the engine apart this week just to release the tension from the chain...that sucks... would be different if I was doing that much work to replace a chain or something.

Or, will a UNIVERSAL OHC Spring Compressor work?

Anyway, if anyone has a photo or drawing I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

Ronnie

97 Deville

95 Town Car

93 Cutlass Conv

• 6 months later...

Was thinking today, never gave the results of my efforts...

Short and sweet of it all...was a pain, but got the valve unstuck, put her back together..

Turned over much smoother and started fine...

Now I get to find out why she was parked to start with...Yep, a headgasket!

Blowing exhaust & coolant heavily out of the reservoir and plenty of white sweet smelling smoke.

Drained the coolant, poured in water and some K&N "Nano-technology", let her idle 20 minutes.

Shut her off, pulled the plugs (to create a vacuum), drained the water and let her sit dry for a few days.

Filled her back up with straight water, ran for a bit. After running at least an hour a day for about 5 days and then drained and refilled with Dex-Cool and distilled water.

A couple months later, still doing fine, can sit in the driveway and idle with the A/C running in the Florida heat for 2 hours and keep a good temp. No smoke, rev up high without radiator cap and no air or coolant coming out at all.

(This is what I did a few times before taking out on the road)

Thanks everyone that helped!

Ronnie

97 Deville

95 Town Car

93 Cutlass Conv

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a test of combustion gases in the coolant by a good radiator shop to be sure, but Ronniels thinks that there was head leakage. I couldn't find K&N "nano-technology" but I think that's a head gasket sealer. Head gasket sealers don't hold forever, or under strain like pulling a hill on the highway or a sustained passing maneuver. Eventually a head gasket change will be needed.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived