CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PhotoBlocker spray for redlight and speed cameras

www.phantomplate.com

Someone sent me a video of Austin Fox News that did a comparison of these and the spray worked the best. They also have two styles of plate covers, but puting anything over your plate in Minnesota is illegal. The spray is legal.

One of their plate covers works like a prism and obscures views from the sides. The other has a bunch of reflective stuff in it, and the camera flash reflects off of it making the plate unreadable. Three or four coats of the spray puts a glossy surface on the plate that reflects the camera flash, and the news report showed this was the most effective.

At $30 a can, this stuff is pretty expensive. One can will do four license plates.

Anyone have any experience with this spray stuff? Or know something that would produce the same results in a $4 can? :lol:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

www.phantomplate.com

Someone sent me a video of Austin Fox News that did a comparison of these and the spray worked the best. They also have two styles of plate covers, but puting anything over your plate in Minnesota is illegal. The spray is legal.

One of their plate covers works like a prism and obscures views from the sides. The other has a bunch of reflective stuff in it, and the camera flash reflects off of it making the plate unreadable. Three or four coats of the spray puts a glossy surface on the plate that reflects the camera flash, and the news report showed this was the most effective.

At $30 a can, this stuff is pretty expensive. One can will do four license plates.

Anyone have any experience with this spray stuff? Or know something that would produce the same results in a $4 can? :lol:

BUSTED! I saw this Mythbusters episode, they specifically mention PhotoBlocker, Mike

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode73

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Interesting. The news segment clip I watched showed the photos of the license plate and it wasn't readable. I'll have to check out that mythbusters episode.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Once while I was a grad student at U. Texas Austin, they put up parking meters down a whole block in front of two dormitories which had a lot of engineering students. The Austin American-Statesman had tongue-in-cheek articles whenever something really interesting happened to the parking meters. Some that I recall are:

• Ice water squirted into the coin slots in sub-freezing weather.
  • Large speaker magnets clamped onto the meters.
  • Sandpapered meter windows.
  • Last, and my favorite: a couple hundred feet of Primacord wrapped around the stalks at sidewall level down the whole block, lit off before dawn.
I very, very strongly suggest the ultimate remedy for photo traffic enforcement, radar and lidar: DRIVE LEGAL. If you don't do this in a community with efficient traffic enforcement, all is lost eventually. If traffic cameras are put on streets with abrupt changes in speed limit in inappropriate places and such (read: speed trap), simply challenge any ticket you may get as appropriate to a recent traffic survey that supports use of the posted speed limit; ask your lawyer for details.

I have seen several news articles over the last several years about some communities using the traffic enforcement cameras as cheap speed traps -- a means to raise money as opposed to a safety or enforcement tool. Whenever you get a ticket from one of those, you should contest it in court. If you do, I have this advice:

• Never contest a traffic ticket without a lawyer. Some traffic judges will ignore you if you don't have one present. Make sure that he is very well informed on the case before you go to your court date.
  • Claim and keep the moral high ground, and behave accordingly. Always be gracious and courteous, and watch your body language too. People make mistakes, and even the worst of us nearly always think we are right, and any unnecessary or gratuitous unpleasantness will cost you dearly eventually. And, you may be wrong about something you don't know about yet. Being argumentative or defensive is bad; let your lawyer do all the talking.
  • Never contest a traffic ticket unless you are fully in the right, and your lawyer agrees. This is rare, and will be perceived by the judge and others, and your chances are very good. If you contest a fair ticket, you will lose; they can see that too.
  • If it's a rural municipality with a speed trap, or a small entity like that one that "owned" 100 feet of Interstate near Chicago and made national headlines with its speed trap a few years ago, contest it and appeal until you get to the state level. Raise Constitutional and State law issues that will get you the eventual win at the first filing. If your lawyer doesn't want to do this and seems to be in it just to get his fee, get another lawyer that is with the program.
  • Always ask your lawyer what the process is for appeal, and be ready when the moment arrives -- don't let them brush you off and call the next case while you asking for the floor to give notice of appeal or some such.
  • If you have the time, go to a few hearings in your court of record as a spectator before your date to get a feel for the judge, the officers, and the way things are done. If possible, work with a lawyer for that hearing that has experience in this court.

If the municipality knows that they are running a transparent speed trap, they may dismiss the ticket immediately to avoid visibility and scrutiny at the appeal level, and bad publicity; this lets them keep the speed trap up indefinitely. But if everybody does it, the publicity and scrutiny will come and they will eventually give up the speed trap business.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have looked into this stuff before, but couldn't come to buy a can. if you try it let me know too, i want to use it for the Express toll route we have here, its extremely pricey about $17 to go 100 km's.

<_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have been nabbed with the spray - it is useless.

OnTrack makes photo radar plates that are terrific and I have NEVER been nabbed with these plates. Essentially, if you are not directly behind the car you see a 'mirror' and not the plate number. If you are behind the car you can see the plate.

They make several versions for 'side' and above use and almost all of them work in most situations.

Please note that in MD and CA these are a no-no and they will either confiscate them or hit you with a large fine - mine was over $270 from the MD state police.

Archived