CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire pressue gauges...

TDK

JohnnyG,

The TPMS on my particular car seems to more or less go to sleep after the ignition is off for a period of time.

I was told by the service manager at the dealership ...before playing with the air pressure... to drive it 100 yards at over 20 mph. THEN adjust pressures to get better response from the TPMS. It DOES seem to work better if I do that. There is still a lag time from the time you put air IN, until it shows on the DIC.

The last time I adjusted the pressures.... I overfilled ALL OF THEM just a few pounds. Then when the readings stabilized... I let a little out of the left front, then right front, then right rear then left rear.

By the time I finished letting a little air OUT of all of them... the left front was displaying the actual pressure that was still in it. Cycled thru all of the DIC readings... let out a little more where needed, till I got them where I want them.

I know that the way I do it seems like a lot of trouble, but I am picky, and the Performance Sedan seems to be a little picky about tire pressure also. So I humor it. :D I have a 12volt air compressor with a long cord that will reach all four tires when plugged into the power outlet in the dash. To me, it's not that big of a deal.... when I can have it RIGHT.

The last time I had the tires rotated and balanced.... ALL FOUR TIRES had different pressures. They ranged from 29 psi to 45 psi. I wrote down the pressures in each tire before I adjusted them, and later took my notes back to the tire place. I asked the manager if he would give a class and teach his guys how to read a tire gauge. I was just a LITTLE BIT irritated. :D:D

Posted Image

From JohnnyG,

"SOooo, come winter, would nitrogen be a better choice TDK? I expect even wider temperature swings in the winter, particularly when I head the highway cruiser down toward Orlando way, sometime in say February!"

From TDK,

Nah. I'd just stay with the POA (plain old air) any ol' way, (physics will help figure it all out). Bear in mind that this initial, irrufutable logic (or lack thereof) is based on a Black Russian and a few glasses of wine with some friends over dinner. ^_^

I sort out these quasi-technical issues like this; Once I understand the stated problem and have a plausible solution, I give it a relative importance compared to whatever else I have to do. Worst-case and ongoing costs are balanced against time/capital investments. But really, its more like this; Compared to finding a restroom about an hour after the first coffee of the day - tire pressure ranks fairly low. Sorry if this seems crude, but its accurate. :P

I have found that a-retentive types need to parse their time carefuly, (although most think we are always paying attention to all details - and are never just plain lazy).

Regarding tire shops. Those guys are probably very nice fathers to their children. But forget about using their tire pressue numbers after all the abuse those tire gauges take, much less the time and effort they invest after a few thousand tire-changes. Can you imagine doing that all day, (with what they typically see), and have someone ask about a half-pound differance between tires?

Do yourself a favor and just check the TPMS against one quality digital gause every few weeks or so in the morning. Use this exercise as an excuse to chat with the cute gals or wannabe smart guys at the store, after driving a few miles to get a paper, coffee or whatever.

Best Regards, -_-

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

wow TDK , great post and logic, and i am most impressed sir ...

Oh well, so much for shock and awe!

Where do I get that digial gause anyway?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

[

Regarding tire shops. Those guys are probably very nice fathers to their children. But forget about using their tire pressue numbers after all the abuse those tire gauges take, much less the time and effort they invest after a few thousand tire-changes. Can you imagine doing that all day, (with what they typically see), and have someone ask about a half-pound differance between tires ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and least, we not forget, how i watch anyone that i am forced to work on my rides ...

and, i have seem the tire guys ??? put new tires, on my rides and not ever stagger the bolts pattern

while using who knows how many torque pounds per square inch ...and how much of my repeat business,

do you think that they got from me ...

i had, sears try to tell me, that they would not replace a mich. tire that they put on my RV with 13,000 miles on it,

that stripped out and crushed my muffler system, it flatted the pipes and forked the water holding PVC pipes,

as well as knocking a big hole threw the floor and all i want was a new tire ???

they said, we never worked on it and i told them, yes you did because, you had a 14 foot door opening and since my ride is 12 feet three inches, i had to deal with you or a truck center, and being that you are sears and you are supposed to be good, for your word, i came to you ...

long story short, i bought 6 mich. radials from sears and got hinney holed ... no lie ...

and, i guess that i am just a bumba$$ and don't know where i bought my tires, after calling all around town, to see how tall everybody's shops bay doors were ... NP give me a break ...

Archived