CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tie rod

should i only buy an ac delco tie rod? and if so where can i get it? i looked on rockoauto but they had other companies. i need outer tie rods are they easy to replace? any special tools?

If you order from RockAuto there's a discount code you can use, click the link in my signature.

I've never done a tie rod, I'm still learning about cars. My buddy has done them on my Cutlass when I had it, and it didn't take him very long. You may need an alignment after it's replaced.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

If you order from RockAuto there's a discount code you can use, click the link in my signature.

I've never done a tie rod, I'm still learning about cars. My buddy has done them on my Cutlass when I had it, and it didn't take him very long. You may need an alignment after it's replaced.

thanks.. what manufacture should i use??

If the ACDelco is around the same price I'd go for that.

I believe the brand I put in the Cutlass was a Niehoff or something, no issues with it but I sold the car not long after.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

This is not really a critical part, Moog is good also, I don't doing think a tie rod on our cars is easy, I don't think I would do this job (someone confirm my thinking)

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This is not really a critical part, Moog is good also, I don't doing think a tie rod on our cars is easy, I don't think I would do this job (someone confirm my thinking)

i agree with BBF, moog makes very good parts ...

do you need a tie rod or just a tie rod end ???

i have replaced tie rod ends before and counted the number of threads on the adjustment

and duplicated, the same on the new one and had no need to have an alignment,

but if i was considering doing that, i would buy an ac-delco part ...

i have a buddy, named Ed and he and i have done some crazy stuff together when it comes

to fixing cars ... and when he worked for firestone, i saw him prove to his fellow workers that

he could do a front end alignment, by look and feel better than, they could do with their machines

and supposed specs. ...

he once found the front end problem on one of my gal pals car in five seconds after three of the

best shops in town looked at it and came up with all kind of stupid reasons why they could not align it

the best front end shop in town said that someone had put the wrong tie rod on it ...

he found the problem laying on the ground looking under the car while i turned the steering wheel ...

they all had lifts and could not see that the steering box was torn away from its mounting on

an uni-body fiat 128 spider ...

that girl could have been killed if it had broken all the way free while going down the highway ...

a little plasma welding and it was fixed ...

Lane

I could not get the threads clean with a wire brush. maybe it was the MN winters and salt spray? the new tie rod kept binding and we could not screw it on. i had to find a metric thread chaser, M12 or is it M14? I went to a hardware store with metric bolts and checked 2 new tie rods. rust is annoying.

Archived