CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Picking up the new car tomorrow.

If all goes as planned I'll be picking up the 2008 Impala tomorrow morning (Sunday). Someone already vandalized the new car, they used a screw driver to rip both oval shaped Impala symbols off the rear quarter panels of the car. They ripped the paint right down to the metal. They also attacked a second, 2006 Impala, ripped one of the Impala symbols off that car and broke it in half. Why the heck would someone do that?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully insurance will pay for the repairs.

I think the repairs will be easy and inexpensive but it's really annoying when this happens.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

So sorry to hear about the damage...

but overjoyed to hear you are really going to get it.

Heres wishing you the best of luck with it.

Many happy motoring miles.

Posted Image

Stay with us on Caddyinfo.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

So sorry to hear about the damage...

but overjoyed to hear you are really going to get it.

Heres wishing you the best of luck with it.

Many happy motoring miles.

thanks for the happy wishes!!

Stay with us on Caddyinfo.

I sure will!! You guys are the greatest!! xx!!

Got the Impala home about 1 hour ago. Bodyshop will be ordering two new Impala emblems. He thinks he can cover the scratches with touch up and clear coat, buff it with the wheel and it should look just fine.

Car rides very well, VERY peppy engine, good on gas. The interior is the same color scheme as my Caddy, beige with wood trim...LOL!! It's a sort of pale gold, like a mix of beige with gold, and metallic. Very comfortable ride. Once it's fixed up I'll be taking some pics of it for everyone to see.

Hey Marika,

I've been out of the Caddyinfo scene for a while and just checked back in for a quick scan. (just simply too busy lately)

So you bought yourself a new car! Congratulations!

Good luck with the car and i hope that apart from the damage you already have that it will be the last of the problems you will have with it.

Surely we will be seeing you around here for a lot longer despite you lost the Cadillac?

All the best.

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

Hey Marika,

I've been out of the Caddyinfo scene for a while and just checked back in for a quick scan. (just simply too busy lately)

So you bought yourself a new car! Congratulations!

Good luck with the car and i hope that apart from the damage you already have that it will be the last of the problems you will have with it.

Surely we will be seeing you around here for a lot longer despite you lost the Cadillac?

All the best.

Marc.

I didn't buy it, I inherited the car and yes I will be around here. Won't be that easy getting rid of me.. :P:lol: :lol:

Congrats Marika. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Larry xxx!!

Post pics and a review, I've been looking at a 2007 :D

You'll probably be better off with the 2007.

Well, for starters, the 2007 and 2008 Impala have different suspensions. I've drove 2007 models and found their suspensions soft and comfortable but easy to handle. The 2008 Impala seems to have a stiffer suspension, somewhat hard to adjust to when you've been driving a Cadillac for 5 years....LOL!!

Taking the 2008 Impala for a quasi-test drive yesterday was a mixed experience. Combining a peppy engine and over aggressive brake system makes for unseen problems. The brakes are what I would consider "grabby" on the 2008 but I'll give it time for the brakes to set-in before I give my final appraisal. Cornering fast while tapping the brakes is a no-no in the 2008 Impala, it will cause the car to fish-tail slightly and I'll assume this is because the car doesn't have an ABS brake system. My particular car does not have an ABS system. Don't ask me why my step-father didn't spend the extra $150 or so for the ABS system, I couldn't tell you but I know that I will NOT look forward to driving this car in New Jersey during the winter where we get mostly icy roads. I feel I could easily flip this car over on a test track. The car feels like it has a high center of gravity but I'll find the sweet spot in future test runs. The center of gravity "box" feels very small for this car, I suspect it's quite easy to tip the car outside of the "box". The metal work looks thin and flimsy so hopefully the car is loaded with tons of air bags. Two vandalism screwdriver marks on the car confirms this as the sheet metal for the rear pillars were actually dented from the pressure exerted by the screwdriver. Cars that have a huge center of gravity "box" include Deville, Seville, CTS, BMW 5 & 7 Series, you get the idea.

So far, I like the radio but the rest of the car is so-so. In all fairness, considering the price range of $21,000 you can't find anything better unless you go with a really GOOD used car but it's obvious that car manufacturers are lowering car quality year after year while upping the price. Scary thought.

I was surprised that ABS was an option, it must be an LS or a 1LT according to this chart (go to engine/chassis), ABS is optional on those models

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/features/

The standard engine has VVT

3.5L V6 with Variable Valve Timing with California/ Northeast emissions

It has

Suspension

four-wheel independent, Touring

You should feel better about this

Safety-Cage Construction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heavy-gauge steel is used throughout the entire passenger compartment for enhanced occupant protection.

and this

Quiet Steel® Technology — Sound Damping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along with heavy-gauge steel in the front dash, Impala incorporates Quiet Steel® technology. This advancement in sound damping utilizes two pieces of steel with a middle layer of viscoelastic material — a key component in minimizing exterior sounds entering the passenger compartment.

Good Luck with it, its lighter than your Caddy, but I am sure you will get used to it in time, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was surprised that ABS was an option, it must be an LS or a 1LT according to this chart (go to engine/chassis), ABS is optional on those models

<a href="http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/features/" target="_blank">http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/features/</a>

It has

Suspension

Safety-Cage Construction

Heavy-gauge steel is used throughout the entire passenger compartment for enhanced occupant protection.

and this

Along with heavy-gauge steel in the front dash, Impala incorporates Quiet Steel® technology. This advancement in sound damping utilizes two pieces of steel with a middle layer of viscoelastic material — a key component in minimizing exterior sounds entering the passenger compartment.

Good Luck with it, its lighter than your Caddy, but I am sure you will get used to it in time, Mike

It is an LS. I thought I mentioned that in an earlier post. I'm sure I'll get used to it as well. Like I said, the car is transportation, fairly comfortable and yes, very quiet. The engine is very peppy and the brakes are [so far], scary but for the money you can't go wrong. If someone is in the market for a car and only has $20,000 to spend, the 2008 Impala is the ONLY way to go. Any other $20,000 car will be a total piece of junk. In the $20,000 price bracket, Impala leads the group. No rice burner can come close to it.

<a href="http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/features/" target="_blank">http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/features/</a>

It has

Suspension

Safety-Cage Construction

and this

It is an LS. I thought I mentioned that in an earlier post. I'm sure I'll get used to it as well. Like I said, the car is transportation, fairly comfortable and yes, very quiet. The engine is very peppy and the brakes are [so far], scary but for the money you can't go wrong. If someone is in the market for a car and only has $20,000 to spend, the 2008 Impala is the ONLY way to go. Any other $20,000 car will be a total piece of junk. In the $20,000 price bracket, Impala leads the group. No rice burner can come close to it.

You probably did mention it, I just don't have time to look at every detail. Anyway you said this "Cornering fast while tapping the brakes is a no-no in the 2008 Impala, it will cause the car to fish-tail slightly and I'll assume this is because the car doesn't have an ABS brake system". The FISHTAIL you are referring to has NOTHING to do with the ABS, you are describing oversteer. ABS only kicks in if the wheel slips. Oversteer can be caused by improper tire pressure (make sure the correct front to rear stagger is correct, that is very important), alignment (don't assume its correct on a new car) or its possible that the LS does NOT have rear stabilizer bars. Adding rear stabilizer bars would make a world of difference if that is the case. It could also be that the LS has mediocre tires.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It has

Suspension

Safety-Cage Construction

and this

You probably did mention it, I just don't have time to look at every detail. Anyway you said this "Cornering fast while tapping the brakes is a no-no in the 2008 Impala, it will cause the car to fish-tail slightly and I'll assume this is because the car doesn't have an ABS brake system". The FISHTAIL you are referring to has NOTHING to do with the ABS, you are describing oversteer. ABS only kicks in if the wheel slips. Oversteer can be caused by improper tire pressure (make sure the correct front to rear stagger is correct, that is very important), alignment (don't assume its correct on a new car) or its possible that the LS does NOT have rear stabilizer bars. Adding rear stabilizer bars would make a world of difference if that is the case. It could also be that the LS has mediocre tires.

Tire pressure is fine in all four tires. Riding on a level road the car held a straight course UNTIL I would brake. Then the car rolls. I think it's either grabby brakes or they're not broken in yet. In either case, the brakes scare me on this car. If the problem happens again I'll take it back to the dealership and complain.

Congratulations on the new car!!

You certainly deserve it after all you've been through with your old one. Hope you get lots of trouble-free miles!

Thank you!! I do like the car, I'm just a little nervous about the brakes at this point. I'll have a more detailed report after a few weeks of driving it.

Many years ago I bought a 1964 Impala station wagon, a car known for things like tail-wag and less-than-stellar handling. It had 14-inch rims with 5 inch width. I wanted it because it had a 327 cid 250 hp with a standard shift, so I put 45 psi in the tires and found that this cured the tail-wag and the handling was OK. When I got it, I put 15 inch rims with 7 inch width on it and used Michelin X 225-15 tires, big Monroe shocks, and it was just fine, thank you. After changes to the suspension, brakes, transmission, and various smaller items and tricking out the engine, it became quite a satisfactory car, except that low gear was verrrry long, requiring finesse at launch.

I suspect that this particular 2008 Impala may have glazed pads and need to have the burnish taken off the brake pads. As far as tail-wag on hard cornering and tapping the brakes, adjusting the tire pressure or, at worst, matching the shocks to the tires should deal with that.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Got the vandalism repaired on the 2008 Impala over the weekend. Cars looks fine now.

Once I get it waxed (Zymol, of course)and detail the interior, then I'll take pictures for everyone to see.

I would say that overall I'm very happy with the car. I also think I've solved a problem. I always had a strong sensation that the car was heavily leaning in turns and it would flip over. I found that by lowering the seat the sensation is nearly gone. Now mind you, the tires are still so-so in my opinion, their traction leaves much to be desired, so I might be springing for high performance tires in the future for this car but for now I'll just "keep it under 70" and behave myself. B):lol:

Cool Marika, glad you are getting comfortable with it. Yes, high performance tires would help a lot...at some point..

225/60-16 is the size for the Impala's tires. Anyone suggest an excellent high performance tire? I'm mostly interesting in "road adhesion", "sticks to the road like glue" is what I like. I'm not willing to compromise on the size of the tire, I believe in using the size of tire the car was designed for.

Archived