CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

changing fpr on 96 sts

Simple hand tools are all you need. You need to remove the cover from the fuel injection, which is four screws. Looking from the radiator, the FPR is on the right side of the engine at the rear, and marks the place where the fuel line attaches to the FI fuel rail. A pair of neede-nose pliers for gently removing and replacing hose clamps is about all you'll need.

It's been awhile since I changed mine. If you need more information, I'll pull out my FSM and refresh my memory.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

On my 1995 STS the FPR is held on with an "A" shaped slide-in holder. The holder thing slides right out to detach it. Make sure you get the old O rings out.

If you follow the fuel rail around to the end there is a black plastic cap that unscrews, and there is a valve under it. Looks like a big tire pressure valve on a tire. You'll need paper towels to put over it, press the needle and fuel will come out to relieve the pressure from the fuel rail. If you don't do that step then fuel will spray all over the engine when you pull the old FPR off. Learned that one the hard way :lol:

I'm still learning about these cars and it's a pretty simple procedure even for me. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

As far as I can tell, the recall was for 1995 to 1997 Northstar motors, so your car would be included.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

well i just got off the phone with the dealership, gave them my vin # and they said there are no active recalls on my vehicle so either the recall was done, or it has been to long and they will not do the service without charging me. does anyone have the actuall recall from gm as a buliten? i am just wanting more info on this as i am very concerned about fire, being a fire fighter. is there any other way of telling if the recall has been done?

well i just got off the phone with the dealership, gave them my vin # and they said there are no active recalls on my vehicle so either the recall was done, or it has been to long and they will not do the service without charging me. does anyone have the actuall recall from gm as a buliten? i am just wanting more info on this as i am very concerned about fire, being a fire fighter. is there any other way of telling if the recall has been done?

i got the recall on my cat about 3 months ago after owning the car for two years ...

heck i knew their was a recall on my model year before i bought it and i wonder why they dragged

their feet so long ...

yeah, i know the longer they wait, the more money they save ...

i still have not taken it in for the recall ...

and i do carry a fire extinguisher in the trunk ...

i would anyway, recall or not, because i have put out fires on other peoples cars ...

i once wasted two of them on a VW bug engine ...

magnesium just burns and burns you can remove the flames and it just start back up again ...

i wonder if the candles that you can blow out on a b-day cake that relight contain mag. ???

If you are going to change the FPR, pull off the beauty cover and look at the fuel rail. If it is plastic, button it back up and call the dealer back; if they BS you call Cadillac Customer Relations. If it is metal, go ahead and check out and/or change the FPR.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Where are you? The recall was for U.S. only and did not include Canada. It included all '95 - '97 Northstars. You can probably find the actual recall if you do a search here as it was posted in it's entirety.

You don't need pictures and you can check it yourself. Take off the beauty cover over the fuel injection and look at the fuel rail. It's the pipe that goes across the engine at the rear, comes over to the front on the passenger's side, and goes back across the front. The fuel injectors are plugged into it, and the fuel injectors are in turn plugged into the black plastic intake manifold.

If the fuel rail is metal, you are good to go. If it is plastic, then call the dealer and tell them that you have a plastic fuel line on a 1994 Northstar and negotiate.

I would think that since there was no recall for Canada, the original fuel rails were metal for export.

Many Canadian members have reported black nylon fuel rails. I don't think they where different for exports Jim. Why the recall did not include Canada, I don't know.

Tunninator, since you are in Canada you don't have to worry about the recall, but you DO have to worry about the integrity of the OEM fuel rail.

Archived