CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.6L upgrades

Sorry FivePointoman.

I just realized you have a '96 with OBDII.

I don't remember right now but somebody does have a computer upgrade for you guys.

I'll try to remember where I seen it.

By the way: Nice exhaust note....

Florin

What performance upgrades are there to be done besides the Cone air filter, exhaust, Mass Air screen etc on this car?

Cone filter will likely do more harm than good. What about the "Mass Air Screen"?

What performance upgrades are there to be done besides the Cone air filter, exhaust, Mass Air screen etc on this car?

Cone filter will likely do more harm than good. What about the "Mass Air Screen"?

The mass air screen is removed to free airflow to the intake.

The MAF sensor is a fine wire grid in the intake just before the throttle valve. Its purpose is to measure the mass of air, independent of temperature and atmospheric pressure, so that the fuel rate to maintain a given fuel-to-air ratio can be computed. It's an essential part of the DFI loop that maintains performance and economy. If you just remove it, the car may run in open-loop mode or it may not.

There are aftermarket MAF sensors for Chevrolet and Ford DFI systems, and they may be available for, or modifiable for, the Northstar system. However, the Northstar engine components related to performance have always been designed to provide maximum performance. This is the main reason why it's so hard to find upgrades for the Northstar.

One thing I would like to see is headers. From what I understand, the performance limit on the Northstar is the crossover exhaust, the pipe from the front bank to the Y-pipe leading to the catalytic converter, and ground clearance is the issue in changing that. My belief is that there is always a way to solve engineering problems; in this case elliptical or rectangular crossover or even a metal plat protecting the pipe and a reduction in ground clearance seem to be options. In any case I've never been able to locate a header for a transverse Northstar.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The MAF sensor is a fine wire grid in the intake just before the throttle valve. Its purpose is to measure the mass of air, independent of temperature and atmospheric pressure, so that the fuel rate to maintain a given fuel-to-air ratio can be computed. It's an essential part of the DFI loop that maintains performance and economy. If you just remove it, the car may run in open-loop mode or it may not.

There are aftermarket MAF sensors for Chevrolet and Ford DFI systems, and they may be available for, or modifiable for, the Northstar system. However, the Northstar engine components related to performance have always been designed to provide maximum performance. This is the main reason why it's so hard to find upgrades for the Northstar.

One thing I would like to see is headers. From what I understand, the performance limit on the Northstar is the crossover exhaust, the pipe from the front bank to the Y-pipe leading to the catalytic converter, and ground clearance is the issue in changing that. My belief is that there is always a way to solve engineering problems; in this case elliptical or rectangular crossover or even a metal plat protecting the pipe and a reduction in ground clearance seem to be options. In any case I've never been able to locate a header for a transverse Northstar.

Every car I have ever had I have removed the Screen from the mass air, with no issues. The front screen is just a restriction and a way to stabilize the airflow not to allow Sudden gusts or improper air readings.. Removing the screen may cause a lopey idle at time, if air is pushed around the element, if not its is fine. Screen or no screen wont effect the elements ability to measure the airflow and the way it works is the more air that flows by it, the cooler the elements will be, due to the fact they heat up thus airflow cools the elements changing the resistance between them thus calculating air fuel ratio's.

If someone has a G-Tech Pro or equivalent and wants to try removing the air flow screen and seeing what differences are measurable, that might be interesting.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I agree that this is the first place to look for more power. If your exhaust is the restricting point in the system, freeing up anything in the intake will make no difference.

Someday (soon hopefully) I would like to work on a replacement cross over pipe to eliminate the restriction. I always thought an elliptical section of pipe would do the trick.

Jonah

Folks,

My "Margarita Grande" - based opinion is:

For someone to have some fun and pipe the front and back headers up and out either front wheel area just above the tire and exit akin to a "Laker Pipe" under the doors. The front bank would have to turn out sideways to either front wheel and possibly run above the wheel (a potential clearance issue). The rear bank may be able to exit behind either front wheel.

It may take some quality design, production ability, (and frankly guts), to market a true-dual exhaust with seperate cat-cons and integrated mufflers that look good and are full performance as well.

Good luck!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

post-6576-1211403031_thumb.jpgpost-6576-1211403047_thumb.jpgWell the Crossover pipe is next on my list real easy to do as well as a hi-flo cat from catco... But thus far with me " Screen " removed in my mass air and all the other modifications I have done, the picture above says it all..

Wow, that's really good gas mileage. Yours uses 1/3 less fuel than mine. Last week, I drove 300 miles driving at 60 mph drafting a truck part of the ways and got 25.5 mpg. If I drive the 70 mph limit, my mileage dips down into the teens.

Is yours an STS or SLS?

IPB Image

This type is DATA is deceiving. The next time look at AVERAGE MPG, look at your AVERAGE SPEED.

Yesterday, I reset my DIC at 60, on cruise control for 120 miles, I did not touch the gas pedal, my tires are 37F and 35R cold and I got 26.4 at an average speed of 60 miles per hour.

What factors went into the 34.1, how many miles was that over and at what average speed?

Leave it for a week and look at MIXED driving and THEN look at MPG and AVERAGE SPEED.

I have said it before, we should start a thread where members drive their car for ONE WEEK after resetting everything. Report MPG, AVG Speed, type and octane of gas, STS vs SLS, etc and we should put together an EXCEL chart. Who whats to start this project?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Great idea Bodybyfisher!!

Have 96 SLS, we took grandkids that are grown plus bags etc for overnight from Bullhead City, AZ. to the Grand Canyon, done some park explore in the car, then back to BHC and then to Las Vegas and back.

Set cruise at about 78 to 80 for approx 500+ miles with slow ups for what ever.

Average 25.2 MPG. Did not look at ave. speed.

Due to the need to carry 7, we recently took my son's SUV to an event. I pointed out to him what I like to call P*MPG: people miles per gallon. In this case the 6cyl SUV got 21mpg each way. With 7 people in the truck, this worked out to a 7x21 = 147 p*mpg. This is also the correct way to understand how 12 mpg buses make great sense.

Many Cadillacs can carry 5 or 6 passengers, so your Cadillac is capable of over 150 p*mpg if you share the luxury.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

wanna picture of my car saying 99.99 average MPG?

its about as trustworthy as the one above and look a whole lot cooler!

....wait till it gets cold outside or really REALLY humid

you will see...

they all eventually do...

cant just walk into the game in the 4th quarter as a rookie and assume you know as much if not more than the vets...

2703551_4_full.jpg

The Twins

1997 ETC & 2003 STS

Archived