CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Compressor off

Today on my 94 DeVille Concours the instrument panel flashed 1) A/C Compressor off 2) Engine Hot 3) Engine Coolant Hot. I drove the car for less than a mile and rested it at a gas station. I was about 15 miles from home and 20 miles from the Cadillac mechanic that does the work on my car. I had the car towed into the mechanic for fear of overheating the engine. There was no steam coming from under the hood and within 45-50 minutes of cooling down it read Monitoring System OK. What could this be? I haven't heard from my mechanic yet.

It's normal for the car to shut off the A/C when the engine gets too hot. The question is, why did it overheat? There are a lot of possibilities here. The first thing I would do is get the OBD I trouble codes. Here's how:

Post them here and we can see what's up. If the codes don't tell us something about overheating, then there are some things to check. By that time you should have heard from your mechanic.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It's normal for the car to shut off the A/C when the engine gets too hot. The question is, why did it overheat? There are a lot of possibilities here. The first thing I would do is get the OBD I trouble codes. Here's how:

</a>

Post them here and we can see what's up. If the codes don't tell us something about overheating, then there are some things to check. By that time you should have heard from your mechanic.

The codes given to me by the mechanic where 1255 and 1258.

Archived