CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing Rear Break Pads

I started a break pad replacement job on my 97 STS. The front took about five minutes a piece. The rear has me scratching my head. Why wont the piston move? Is there something I am missing? This is the first time I have messed with rear disk brakes. All the others have been rear drum. Can anyone give me some help? What do I need to do to push the piston back?

Thanks

Mac

Like the top of an old bottle jack?

Are the treads conventional? Clockwise to screw it in and counter clockwise to screw it back out?

I feel like such a dope.

Why didnt the auto parts guy ask if I had that stupid little part? Can I use channel lock pliers, or just buy the tool?

How much is the tool?

The rear pistons on your car should be conventional. Depending on where you buy the cube, it should cost about $10-15. Channel lock or so-called gripper pliers may damage the pistons and still may not work adequately to allow new brakes to be inserted.

MAC

The tool "should be" a standard brake part. But I have used a 3/4" or maybe a 5/8" combination wrench. Use the open end to grip the piston and slip a screwdriver through the box end for a little torque.

Screw in clockwise.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

When you finish screwing the piston in before reinstalling the calaper be sure and align the piston adjustment grooves for equal pressure on the pads. Picture is shown in the service manual.

DaveC

When you finish screwing the piston in before reinstalling the calaper be sure and align the piston adjustment grooves for equal pressure on the pads. Picture is shown in the service manual.

DaveC

If you don't have a manual, I believe the detents on the piston need to be a 3 & 9 o'clock positions.

Autozone will loan you the caliper piston compressor, on the rear brakes it has a pin that slips into it and stops the end from slipping like you need on the fronts, this screws the piston back in. I too couldnt figure it out the first time I did a rear disc car, only took a couple seconds once I had the right tool. LOL

Jeff

See attached image for piston position.

post-3-1084329473.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived