CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need new brakes and bearings.

Babydon

The garage quoted me $1500 - $1000 for the brakes and $500 for the wheel bearings.

Would anybody advise of buying the parts online and paying a mechanic for the labour to save money?

I believe what they quoted me was without labour.

Thanks!

BD

335a099287.jpg

Check out rockauto.com. $1500... leave those crooks alone. Labor cost for a wheel bearing replacement should be around $50 and for brake pads replacement ...some $25 X4 =$100

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like there must be more to this. Besides the pads, what else is needed? Were the brakes worn down to the metal? maybe rotors, brake sensors etc. are needed - and thus the high price. How many wheel hubs do you need? I don't think you can just buy bearings like the old days.

Sounds like there must be more to this. Besides the pads, what else is needed? Were the brakes worn down to the metal? maybe rotors, brake sensors etc. are needed - and thus the high price. How many wheel hubs do you need? I don't think you can just buy bearings like the old days.

Here's their diagnosis after my service & inspection...

"Vehicle has ABS, Air Bag and Battery Lamp on.

Recommend perform diagnostics to determine fault.

Front and Rear Brakes Heavily rusted, recommend replacing.

Left front wheel bearing has play."

335a099287.jpg

Estimated Brake Parts Cost - Front (American brand name parts) Rotors - $80.00ea, Pads $55.00 the set.

Rears - Rotors $45.00 ea, Pads - $40.00 the set (prices are a "little" high). Labor - 1hr to 1-1/2 hours per axle x shop rate.

The wheel "bearing is actually a hub assembly which are about $175.00 ea (check Rockauto.com) labor should be 2 - 3 hours per side x shop rate. The front end has to come apart and the old bearing "beaten out of the spindle if it's rusty. I've done mine time, consuming, not difficult and I had to literaly beat the old hub out of the spindle with a 4# hammer because Massachusetts's rock salt had corroded it so badly.

So I would suggest you're looking at about $525.00 in parts and 6 hours labor, times your shop's hourly rate. A grand - 1100 may be a ball park number (@$100.00 per hr shop rate).

Estimated Brake Parts Cost - Front (American brand name parts) Rotors - $80.00ea, Pads $55.00 the set.

Rears - Rotors $45.00 ea, Pads - $40.00 the set (prices are a "little" high). Labor - 1hr to 1-1/2 hours per axle x shop rate.

The wheel "bearing is actually a hub assembly which are about $175.00 ea (check Rockauto.com) labor should be 2 - 3 hours per side x shop rate. The front end has to come apart and the old bearing "beaten out of the spindle if it's rusty. I've done mine time, consuming, not difficult and I had to literaly beat the old hub out of the spindle with a 4# hammer because Massachusetts's rock salt had corroded it so badly.

So I would suggest you're looking at about $525.00 in parts and 6 hours labor, times your shop's hourly rate. A grand - 1100 may be a ball park number (@$100.00 per hr shop rate).

Thanks BigCat!!!

Great advice - I'm thinking I'll buy the parts at $525.00 and bribe my mechanic friend with some vouchers for lobster & steak dinners. :P

335a099287.jpg

Does your car report the voltage on the DIC? what is the reading, does it increase as you apply a little gas? - again, how old is the battery? did you check the terminals?

by pressing information, you should see temp, volts, RPM, etc.

Does your car report the voltage on the DIC? what is the reading, does it increase as you apply a little gas? - again, how old is the battery? did you check the terminals?

by pressing information, you should see temp, volts, RPM, etc.

I'll check it again.

From what I remember it only read Battery Voltage OK.

For the other readings it would display like so:

temperature, fuel use, % of fluids etc.. however no number given.

335a099287.jpg

Archived