CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Heated Windshield

My 94 STS has a heated de-icing windshield which is operated by a switch.

The 1998 STS I just bought my wife looks like it has the same windshield but I don't know whether in fact it is because I can't seem to find a switch to turn it on or any mention of the feature in the owners handbook although I just did a quick read through. Would anyone know if the heated windshield came on the 98 model year and if so how it works?

I'm unsure when the electrically heated windshield option was abandoned (after '95, I think), but I'm quite certain that it was never available on '98+ Sevilles.

Why was it abandoned? Always wished I had that option.

Larry,

I really don't know the reason(s) why the heated windshield option was dropped, but I once heard "speculation" from a (generally well-informed) colleague who thought that there were long-term durability concerns (i.e., corrosion, etc.) with the electrical connections to the windshield heater, which was actually powered directly from the AC power coils of the alternator.

Also, I would speculate that the option had a low "take rate" -- it probably wasn't popular enough to justify the cost of maintaining the option.

I wonder what the option price was. Maybe someone with an original window sticker or a dealer price guide can tell us.

Called GM Canada and they will get us an answer on this for us which I will post upon receipt.

The de-icing windshield was a great option which I first experienced on my 1991 Olds Touring Sedan which I just sold last month with this same feature still working as it is on my 94 STS.

Archived