CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BAH! Going to need some repairs on my STS (2001)

Babydon

So I picked her up from the auction today to take home.

Engine seems fine... silent purr when idle, drives smooth and takes off like a rocket...

ABS light on.. and when I use the brakes it seems to vibrate, but nothing heavy.

Fuel gauge shows empty so I take her to the gas station to fill her up..

Hop back in the car and ... ??? ... Fuel gauge still empty...

Thought it might go up while driving but nope - still E.

Also, the battery light is on as well, but she starts fine, without a hitch.

The fuel tank release from the trunk is busted as well...

One of the plastic knobs for the driver's side seat adjustment is broken too - not the ability, just the plastic piece.

(which i still have)

One thing that bugged me is when I went to load the disc changer - there aren't any cd inserts!!! Just the cartridge.

I printed the error codes from caddyinfo and will do a proper check this weekend.

I'm also having her serviced on Monday from Kirk Robinson

http://www.robinsonautomotive.com/

He's in my location and his reputation seems to be outstanding. Good find I hope.

One great surprise were the brand spankin new tires that came with her, and I thought they were 16" - but they're 17"'s :)

I'm not technically sound at all when it comes to cars - but I hope thre isn't too much more I have to do to get her in tiptop shape.

335a099287.jpg

One thing that bugged me is when I went to load the disc changer - there aren't any cd inserts!!! Just the cartridge.

Ive got an 01 STS with changer... the cartridge does not have the little inserts that pull out to fill with cds like other changers I have seen.

You just slide the cds into the cartridge... I think it says which side up for the cds.

Jonah

I've watched Kirk Robinson for years on Autotalk.

He seems to be a real straight shooter ... much better alternative than the dealer

or, shudder, a Canadian Tire store.

Good luck with the car.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

are you planning on fixing the car and selling it or hanging on to it? i wish i could buy cars at an auction. if you computer thinks the tank is empty, do you get a low fuel warning? do any of the trip computer functions work like range till empty and so on?

What does the DIC report as battery voltage. - could be a bad alternator or hopefully just needs a new battery. If it's original, I would just replace it. Also remember to change the DEXCool antifreeze & brake fluid.

There is a way to report on the actual fuel in the tank (by using the off/warmer technique) - the reading actually moves around quickly as the car moves around, but you'll get a good indication if the fuel sensor/ wireing in the tank is dead, or just stuck in the lower fuel position or so.

Good luck on your new purchase.

Voltage says ok...

No low fuel warning...

Came back from the garage who thinks it's more priority right now to have front and back breaks replaced as well as the wheel bearings. :o

They quoted me $1000 for the brakes and $500 for the wheel bearing.

yipee...

335a099287.jpg

are you planning on fixing the car and selling it or hanging on to it? i wish i could buy cars at an auction. if you computer thinks the tank is empty, do you get a low fuel warning? do any of the trip computer functions work like range till empty and so on?

i have sorta the same problem... i get a low range on the DIC put the fuel gauge says half a tank... ??? and suggestions ?

They quoted me $1000 for the brakes and $500 for the wheel bearing.

yipee...

Yipee... cost me less than $200 for brakes on all four corners with oem delco pads... put them on myself though.

are you putting rotors on it as well?

Jonah

Yipee... cost me less than $200 for brakes on all four corners with oem delco pads... put them on myself though.

are you putting rotors on it as well?

No I am not - but my buddy who is a licensed mechanic (active, green & ross) will install for free - well no money at least.

In exchange I will be getting him in shape for the summer. lol...

New front and rear rotors, pads and front wheel bearing.

Don't think they can be machined/sanded down.

:)

335a099287.jpg

Archived