CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update Decision on STS

GaryB

Well I've started the job of replacing the head gasket on the 1994 STS. So far I have drained the radiator, removed the appearance plate and have started the removal of the intake manifold.

Issues:

1. I'm having trouble with what I believe to be the fuel pipe quick disconnects. Is there a special tool required to remove them or is there a simple home solution?

2. Water pup pulley (located on the left cam cover) - Is the special tool required? If so where is the best place to buy tools? Went to a local parts store today and they gave me the wrong tool.

Once I have the pulley and the intake manifold off I will tackle the Harmonic balancer. Does anyone have any input on this task?

I will send another update soon.

GaryB

The water pump takes a special tool. It's available on eBay or any Snap On truck for 3x the price. :( On eBay, you can find the socket for 20 bucks. I believe Bruce (admin of this site) also rents one out. With the tool, it's very easy to remove that water pump. Do you have a set of the factory service manuals for the car?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

1. I'm having trouble with what I believe to be the fuel pipe quick disconnects. Is there a special tool required to remove them or is there a simple home solution?

There is a special tool, however, the one I have does not work well. I did release one by using three pieces of a popsicle stick. There are three "fingers" in the clip that need to be pushed outward to allow the flange in the pipe to pass.

It can be done without the tool, however a good tool will do it in a few seconds.

Manually, you'll take longer.

2. Water pup pulley (located on the left cam cover) - Is the special tool required? If so where is the best place to buy tools? Went to a local parts store today and they gave me the wrong tool.

There is a special puller required. Not sure where you get one.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/a70lt1//w_pump_pulley.jpg

Once I have the pulley and the intake manifold off I will tackle the Harmonic balancer. Does anyone have any input on this task?

Lock the flywheel and use a very long breaker bar to remove the bolt. (It's very tight)

Then use a 3 - Jaw gear puller to remove the balancer. A cheap puller will get the job done. It's not on that tight.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/a70lt1//harmonic.jpg

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

jadcock, it's not the water pump I have to remove. It's the pulley located on the Cam Cover.

Barry94, how did you remove your's when you did your head gaskets?

Also, how do you lock the flywheel? Again, the service manual shows a special tool for this.

GaryB

jadcock, it's not the water pump I have to remove. It's the pulley located on the Cam Cover.

Sorry, my bad! I didn't read it close enough! :ph34r:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

jadcock, that's alright.

I finally found a tool and got the pulley removed. Hope I'll be able to get it back on with less effort. Now I'm trying to get the quick disconnects off. Having no luck finding a tool for the quick disconnects.

I lifted the intake manifold and took a peak. There are small traces of residue. Looks like oil but is tacky to the touch. I think its exhaust with a burned coolant mix. Will have a better idea of what it is once the intake manifold is completely removed from the engine.

GaryB

Barry94, how did you remove your's when you did your head gaskets?

I didn't remove or timesert the front head. I had intended to do this. I did the rear first (As it had the pulled threads) and when I unpacked the head gasket for the read, it had one head bolt missing.

I robbed the bolt from the front gasket set. At that point I just kept putting the engine back together. I should have ordered another bolt, and did the front head as well, however, I didn't.

I eventually ordered the missing bolt and have the front head gasket on the shelf if I ever need it.

Also, how do you lock the flywheel? Again, the service manual shows a special tool for this.

I made a "U" shaped device from a piece of 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick flat bar and used this to "lock" the flywheel.

I removed the plate (under the flywheel) that looks like a bow tie, and put this device up in to engage with the teeth on the flywheel and used the plate to retain it securely.

Now you can remove the front pulley with ease, as the engine is locked.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived