CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cooling Fans No Worky Worky

Got a problem, my cooling fans are not turning on on my 1991 Fleetwood. I first noticed a problem when I had the A/C on and the water in the overflow tank was boiling :o not so good. I checked the fuse for both the cooling fan and for the A/C fans and they are both OK. I jumped 12 volts from the battery to the cooling fan and the fan kicked in but not as fast as I think it should. I checked all the connections and they all seem to be hooked up. The A/C fan also does not kick in with the A/C on. Completely stumped...

Could it be a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor?

Could it be a bad relay?

Need some assistance. Thanks in advance.

Spence

I first noticed a problem when I had the A/C on and the water in the overflow tank was boiling

you sure it was "boiling" or was it bubbling. Bubbles could be from a bad head gasket pressuizing the cooling system and entering through the tube from the radiator which is below the water level in the tank. Just a thought as I have had it happen.

Larry, you are too hasty to say it's a head gasket. Don't scare people like that.

If the cooling fans are not turning on, it probably was boiling. Also, I would recommend getting a new radiator cap. When they get old, they wear out and won't allow enough pressure to build up in the cooling system therefore causing the boiling point of your coolant to drop. In this case, it could easily boil. I had the same problem in a 1993 DeVille I had. It was boiling without overheating. A new radiator cap took care of it.

I'm not sure what to say about the cooling fans but a new radiator cap may be in order when you do get them fixed.

Larry, you are too hasty to say it's a head gasket. Don't scare people like that.

Better read my post again.... a bit closer. I nerver said it WAS a headgasket. The reason I said "COULD BE" is, I can understand the coolant boiling but I don't see how it will "boil" in the overflow tank as there is no heat applied to it there. The boiling would occur in the engine and I'm not sure how many bubbles (if any) you'd see in the tank.

As I think more about it, I guess the boiling in the engine would cause steam and that steam will find it's way to the overflow tank in the way of bubbles. Didn't mean to scare you spence, just looking at all options.

Rereading your post, I'm not sure the fans are the cause of your overheating. That's not to say you don't have a problem with them. Does it overheat without the A/C on? Has the thermostat been changed? How about the radiator. Coolant flow ok? How about airflow (clogged up with bugs etc)?

It only seems to get real hot when the A/C is on. It makes all kinds of bubblin 'noises then starts to push all the hot water out of the overflow tank. The car seems to be fine and run fine until I put the A/C on and in stop and go kind of traffic or when it is idling. I wish the car had a gauge instead of just a light for "Coolant Temperature" but the light has never come on.

As for the Thermostat, we changed it a couple months ago before the winter, coolant flow seems ok, rad hoses are all warm, washed the front of the rad before winter. The only problem is the fans aren't kicking in. I'm sure if the fans would kick in, it would be cool enough because it was the first warm day up here after a long winter. I think I'm going to have to check if there is power getting to the fans, maybe at the coolant temp sensor and anything else I can think to check. If you guys have any other suggestions it would be great. Thanks.

Spence

Well, now I have more problems. I checked the relay on the firewall and sure enough there was a bad relay in the cooling fans location. So I put the spare 60 Amp in and thought everything would be AOK. I went and turned the key on and turned pushed A/C on went to see if the A/C fan would cut in. It did not, I then went into the car to put it on defrost to make the A/C compressor come on and see if the cooling fan would cut in. Then the Service Air Conditioning light came on and threw the defrost to the "Econ" setting and the A/C light stayed on.

The only thing I noticed is that when I know turn the temperature down past 24 degrees Celsius, the doors actually move to open the face vents, which did not work before.

I don't understand why the A/C was working fine until today when I switched the relay. I was just using the A/C on Sunday and it was ice cold and working fine, now today it is not working at all. I had also disconnected the battery to see if maybe the computer was going bonkers from having the relay changed. Nope all problems continued.

I also pulled two new codes I had never seen I had never seen before:

E or EE 52

F 48

On top of this, the coolant fan is still does not seem to be cutting in. We only bought this car in August and never really started driving the car regularly until October. For all I know the fans may have not been working at all. I asked my Dad if he had ever noticed or remembered the fans being on and he can not recall them ever moving. Yet, if we hook up 12 volts straight from the battery the engine cooling fan will turn on.

Any help with the codes that were brought up or any ideas on my fan or fans not kicking in or A/C would be super.

Spence

Archived