CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas mix-up stalls dozens of vehicles

North Jersey Media Group

Gas mix-up stalls dozens of vehicles

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Last updated: Thursday April 17, 2008, EDT 9:17 PM

BY JUSTO BAUTISTA

More than 75 cars have died on highways and roads across North Jersey tonight after their gas tanks were inadvertently filled with diesel fuel at Lukoil stations, authorities said.

Cars have been stranded on Route 208 in Fair Lawn, as well as on Route 9W, the Garden State Parkway and the Palisades Interstate Parkway, officials said.

At just one station on Route 208, 18 cars died after filling up at the station, said Police Sgt. Derek Bastinck. The cars on 9W and the PIP apparently filled up at a Lukoil station on Fletcher Avenue in Fort Lee, police said.

The tanks that hold unleaded gasoline were apparently filled with diesel fuel, police said. It was unclear Thursday night how many stations were affected.

E-mail: bautista@northjersey.com

Find this article at:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Gas_mix-up...ng_traffic.html

Copyright © North Jersey Media Group

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Did you get any pictures? B)

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Did you get any pictures? B)

I didn't see any stalled vehicles as I don't drive the roads where those gas stations are located but I'll bet those stalled out cars sure caused a traffic jam nightmare, especially on 9W which is for the most part, a two-lane road with little or no shoulder.

What happens to these cars? Can they be repaired and cleaned out?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I would think that it depends on the car. If the car can be made to start, you might get away with draining the tank and putting in some gas, and running out the diesel fuel in the gas lines. If not, it's a tow job and the fuel lines would have to be cleaned out. On my 1997 ETC, this would involve pulling at least one injector and letting the fuel pump run, at a minimum. You could probably use the key-on pressure-up 10 second run time several times to get it done. Cars that won't flow diesel fuel through the gas filter or that have other difficulties are in for a bigger job.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I am sure glad that didn't happen to "MY" car. I would be one ticked off fellow. They would pay for the dealer to clean it out and replace all filters. At least. :D

Lukoil did distribute a toll free number and wants anyone whose car was involved to call them to file a claim. They will be paying the drivers for all the repairs plus car rental. There was also an update to the story, it wasn't diesel fuel that got pumped, it was water mixed in with the fuel. It seems the main holding tank in Linden, New Jersey where the tankers go to fill up, was allowed to run low on fuel in preparation for the summer formulation fuel. Condensation built up inside the holding tanks and there was enough condensation that when the holding tank was filled, the fuel became contaminated with lots of water.

Actually water in the gas isn't that rare. It's most common when the tanks, at the station or otherwise, are allowed to run very low. There is always a trace of water at the very bottom, because any condensation will drift there an won't evaporate. If the gas is a pre-additive blend or low in detergent additives, it won't mix with the gas and dissipate, either. At the refinery and storage facilities this is known and accounted for in the fuel handling procedures. But, in a cheap gas station, it can happen; we've had threads here started by people who got gas just once at the equivalent of a Quik-E-Mart in Podunk, NJ and had driveabiltiy problems starting the next morning. With skyrocketing gas prices and most stations in a perpetual squeeze between the suppliers and the prices down the block, it's caveat emptor time.

I didn't see any stalled vehicles as I don't drive the roads where those gas stations are located but I'll bet those stalled out cars sure caused a traffic jam nightmare, especially on 9W which is for the most part, a two-lane road with little or no shoulder.

What happens to these cars? Can they be repaired and cleaned out?

Sure they can. The tank and the fuel system need to be drained. Once refilled with gasoline, they should be fine, though they may run a little rough for a mile or so.

I remember one time around here where I live about 20 years ago, a station got alot of water in their tanks and had cars stalled, in town, up and down Interstate 77, and just about every road going out of town, they were everywhere. I saw one guy drain his tank into a 5 gallon see thru container and there was only about 1/2 gallon of gas and the rest water. It had the wrecker companies working overtime picking up the cars affected. It was a big mess. This was before cell phones so you could imagine the problems.

Archived