CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1980 Cadillac Brougham issues? (longish post)

80Caddy

Howdy, This is first of probably many posts.

My Grandpa recently passed away, and left me the car I had been bugging him for since i was 13 or so.

Now, this thing hasn't even left his garage in 12 years, but after some minor work on the carb i managed to get it to run for about 5 seconds.

Ive rebuilt a couple mustangs, worked on my own car, but this is my first caddy.

If anyone has any heads up on what to look out for in terms of repair (other then obvious issues from sitting for over a decade) that may not be obvious to a first time Cadillac owner, a heads up would be Wonderful!

You can read all you want online, but first hand experience will beat all that.

I do believe its got the 6.0L 368 (from what I've researched), but i could be entirely wrong as I've owned the car for about a week, and cant find the owners manual.

So far everything works other then 2 window winder motors, and the drivers side, side view mirror motor.

-Determined to get Gramps pride and joy back on the road.

I had a 1980 Sedan deVille. It had the 368 in it. I am assuming the Brougham has the same engine.

It uses the Rochester Quadrajet carb. It uses a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the side of the engine...just to the rear of the water pump.

After 10 years of sitting in the garage, the carb probably needs to be rebuilt and the fuel pump diaphram may be bad.

I would drain the 10 year old gas that is in it now and change the oil, change the coolant and change fuel filter. The fuel filter is located just in front of the rear wheel by the frame.

Then take the fuel line loose at the carb, attach a piece of rubber or plastic line and run it to a catch can. Pull the coil wire to prevent it from starting and bump the engine over with the starter to see if the fuel pump still works.

Posted Image

One word of advice -

You've probably got the original carb on the car. DO NOT replace it with a parts-store rebuilt. Find local talent that can rebuild it using the original parts. Quadrajet calibration is all in the pieces and mass rebuilders often pay little attention to what rods, hangers, springs, etc. that they're putting in one.

One word of advice -

You've probably got the original carb on the car. DO NOT replace it with a parts-store rebuilt. Find local talent that can rebuild it using the original parts. Quadrajet calibration is all in the pieces and mass rebuilders often pay little attention to what rods, hangers, springs, etc. that they're putting in one.

I will second that advice.

If you don't know how to do it your self.... (they are very good carbs.)

Find someone that KNOWS QuadraJets and let them rebuild it. That way you will get years of trouble free performance from it.

Posted Image

One word of advice -

I will second that advice.

If you don't know how to do it your self.... (they are very good carbs.)

Find someone that KNOWS QuadraJets and let them rebuild it. That way you will get years of trouble free performance from it.

Good idea, thanks for the info. I probably would have just got it rebuilt by whoever.

One question about the motor. It is the original one from 1980. I know the '81 v8-6-4 was troublesome, but does the same go for the 1980 year?

Ive got a 360 i could put in it but would rather not if i dont have to.

Good idea, thanks for the info. I probably would have just got it rebuilt by whoever.

One question about the motor. It is the original one from 1980. I know the '81 v8-6-4 was troublesome, but does the same go for the 1980 year?

Ive got a 360 i could put in it but would rather not if i dont have to.

DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE unless absolutely necessary. The 368 is one tough engine. All cast iron. With routine maint and a small bit of care... it will run for a long, long time.

I had my 1980 Sedan for almost 22 years and had over a quarter million miles on it. It still looked good, ran great and used no oil. I wish I had kept it. It was probably the most trouble free car I have ever owned in my life ... and I have had a BUNCH of cars. :D

I also had a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham de Elegance with the V8-6-4. I only had it two years, but I never had any trouble with it. I have heard that as they got older, they did get troublesome.

To the best of my knowledge...the V8-6-4 did not come out till 1981. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Posted Image

The 368 engine is the last of the Cadillac big block engines - it is bulletproof.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

my dad has the 81 with the 8-6-4 , but I think its disabled.

In terms of reliablity its been ok, but he can't keep the accessory belts on it. He replaced most of the pumps thinking one was bad, but cant seem to keep it together. other than that its a pimping baby blue with white leather! :yupi3ti:

Archived