CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

01 Seville STS blowing fuse for Drivers HID Lamp???

kooler

Over the weekend my 2001 Seville STS blew the fuse for the drivers side HID lamp.

When I replace the fuse, teh HID lamp ignites for about 2 seconds and then pops the fuse again.

I'm looking for help in determining the issue. Is it the bulb doing this? Is it the ballast? Could it be the igniter? Or is it more possible that I have a shorted wire somewhere? How about a ground issue?

Please help, I'm lost on this and don't want to pay an arm to the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Over the weekend my 2001 Seville STS blew the fuse for the drivers side HID lamp.

When I replace the fuse, teh HID lamp ignites for about 2 seconds and then pops the fuse again.

I'm looking for help in determining the issue. Is it the bulb doing this? Is it the ballast? Could it be the igniter? Or is it more possible that I have a shorted wire somewhere? How about a ground issue?

Please help, I'm lost on this and don't want to pay an arm to the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Update: I tried getting into the HID system to look for a pinched wire, a wire that may have rubbed thru its insulation and shorted to ground or even a bad ground and have found nothing.

I did find that the ballast is tucked away pretty good and if it turns out to be that, it's gonna be a bear to get that thing out of there.

There is all sorts of crap in the way down there and I don't even know what it is?

Still looking for some diagnostic help please.

I fixed it (no help to this forum)

On the MSN Harley Tech Talk forum, the guys posted directions with pictures on how to get the headlamp assembly out and how to get the ballast out.

I swapped the passenger side ballast with the drivers side ballast and the passenger side started blowing fuses.

It was then off to the dealership to buy a ballast. Since I knew a buddy who works in the parts industry, he was able to get me a discount off the $420 MSRP for a new ballast. It cost $275 (which was still outrageous) but something that needed to be done with the OEM system.

The original part number of the ballast is 12335573 and the replacement is 19120501. (it's a new style and considered a kit)

You'll also need an adapter harness for the 2-prong original power plug if you have an 2001 or 2002 Seville. That part number is 15416283 and cost around $30 bucks.

It's all back together and working just fine. I hope this helps somebody else out there as I thought that's what this portion of the site was suppose to be about.

Responding to your sarcasm with a little levity: lighten up, Dude!

Consider this: No one on this board was able to help with your unique problem because no one on this board had usefull experience or knowledge to share. So rather than shower you with useless and technically incorrect advice, everyone remained quiet.

Thanks for sharing your experience and all the part numbers. I'm happy for you that your HID lamp problem is corrected. But as the oncoming driver, I have a different position.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Responding to your sarcasm with a little levity: lighten up, Dude!

I'm happy for you that your HID lamp problem is corrected. But as the oncoming driver, I have a different position.

JImD,

I know what you mean about being the oncoming driver. Some that I meet at night almost totally blind me. I think they are using some kind of aftermarket kit.

The HID's on my car have a real sharp cutoff across the top part of the light beam. Pulling into the garage at night.... against the back wall... the top of the light beam is straight across. Real bright from about your waist down.... almost DARK above that.

Of course that kind of HID is not what blinds me at night. Or at least I don't THINK it does. I need to have my son drive it behind me while I drive his car and see exactly where they DO and DO NOT shine.

Thanks for mentioning that .... about getting blinded. I will check mine to make sure I am not blinding SOMEONE ELSE. :D:D

Posted Image

Rocket science only works when there are rockets.

What? Maybe 5% -10% of the Sevilles have HID. Versus standard lamps?

I have never owned a set of HID lamps. What help could I be? I dont know..

Anyway, sounds like u found a site that has been there and done that. Saving money is what it's all about.

Archived