CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Cat. Converter

I have been driving around for several months with a rumbling "cat". The other day, when I found out it could cause excessive back-pressure and disturb the EGR valve, I decided to to replace it (167K miles on it, ...mind you).

So I took it to the corner muffler shop, and they tested it and said it was working (I think it read 400 Deg. F coming in and 300 Deg. F coming out), using an infrared thermometer (it should have 100 deg. F. differential temperature, as I was told). So I put that aside and decided to replace it anyway, for fear of a future clog in the exhaust system. They checked their inventory and did not have the replacement catalytic converter in stock (although two days earlier they stated they had four). They did state they could put a smaller cat. on it, but Caddy-owners do not like it because it rumbles more. I asked how it impacted flow, and they stated it would increase flow (and reduce back-pressure), because it lass less media in it. I found that interesting because I was contemplating so-called "high-flow" cat.s in Jegs.

Bottom line, I told them to do it. $ 170 later, I took it for a ride. I waited until the temperature stabilized (steady-state for you engineers), and I punched it at 25 mph. HOLY BATSHIT,....the front tires squalled and I shut it down because the "torque-steer" caught me off-guard. Thinking it was a random act, I did a WOT again, and the tires were still scratch'in "big-time". Now some may ask, "how do you know you having been experiencing performance decline and the correction got you back to standard performance??". Well, I acquired the car at 85K miles from my mother, my family bought it new and I drove it new (and I abused it new), and it is more "alive" than ever.

It is interesting, although the muffler guy said it would be louder coming out, I do not detect it, but it "sounds" louder from under the hood. Now, this may be a "Freudian thing" or the so-called higher-flow is affecting sound frequencies, and I am discerning a different mix of sound wavelengths from vibration.

Whatever, ..... I'm going "hunting" for Mustang GTs....

Nice! Really weird to have it be that noticable :) I put a high flow cat on mine but I really didn't notice anything although i'm sure it did something. It takes quite a bit of a change for you to notice it .. we are only human, we can't notice 5hp changes :>

I plan on buying a High flow Cat from summit racing. hey might as well , i have a 15 dollar off any purchase so if i purchase the $47 high flow universal cat..add handling charge ( no shipping fee ) which is 8 buks thats $55 - $15 = 40 buks for a 14 in high flow cat! NOT BAD AT ALL! :lol:

Archived