CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Saying Hello

First I like to say hello and glad I found thid site.I just bought a 1994 DeVille 4.9 and waiting on some fsm I bought on e-bay comming snail mail.In the time ill get them ill do some fluid changes and small repairs.I do need a exhaust manifold (Left side) toward grill.Mine has a crack in it i didnt see when i bought this, with also not knowing how to read codes.Now about a dozen pop up but untill the manuals come ill wait for that.If anybody has one at a fair price and would like to part with it email me please.This car is for my wife ,i am a disabled vet and two hours a day working on the car is my limit.I dont drive due to the meds I take but its nice to have a Caddie again last one was a 1975 ,its feels good to be in some class again .Wish it was new but its new to me and what a ride.Thanks for having me!

:welcomesmiley:

I'm pretty new here too, this is my first Cadillac. I bought a 95 STS on Halloween, and I agree they're very classy.

Here is how to read your codes:

DTC display 1989-2000:

1. Turn the ignition switch ON. [bruce notes: interestingly, the engine can be on or off]

2. On the cars up to 1995, on the Climate Control panel, press the OFF and WARM buttons simultaneously.

3. Hold the buttons depressed until all display segments on the CC/DIC and instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminate. On 1992 models, a separate combination panel houses both the ECC and DIC. On 1993-1994 models, the DIC is part of the instrument panel cluster.

4. After the segment check, the diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed. Each trouble code consists of the system identifier, a three-digit code identifier and the current or history identifier. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE or NO X DATA message will be displayed.

* E -- ECM trouble code

* P -- PCM trouble code

* C -- Current trouble code

* H -- History trouble code

* NO X CODE -- No code present (X represents the system)

* NO X DATA -- Communication lines are not operating (X represents the system)

I typically type my code into the search function here to find out about what the code means. I don't have a FSM yet either. The people here are very friendly and willing to help, as I've found out.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

First I like to say hello and glad I found thid site.I just bought a 1994 DeVille 4.9 and waiting on some fsm I bought on e-bay comming snail mail.In the time ill get them ill do some fluid changes and small repairs.I do need a exhaust manifold (Left side) toward grill.Mine has a crack in it i didnt see when i bought this, with also not knowing how to read codes.Now about a dozen pop up but untill the manuals come ill wait for that.If anybody has one at a fair price and would like to part with it email me please.This car is for my wife ,i am a disabled vet and two hours a day working on the car is my limit.I dont drive due to the meds I take but its nice to have a Caddie again last one was a 1975 ,its feels good to be in some class again .Wish it was new but its new to me and what a ride.Thanks for having me!

Welcome. If the crack is not that bad you probably can live with that, otherwise a junkyard is your source of one. Our the most enthusiasitc cadillac enthusiast BodybyFisher will probably be able to point you in right direction. As far as I remember, 94 Devilles had some kind of deffect related to the fuel tank. Because of it engine can stall during sharp right had turns WHEN the tank is lower than 1/4 of its capacity.

It should not necesserily be case with your car, but just be aware. Otherwise 4.9 liter engine is a workhorse and will serve you well for many years. Change the coolant ASAP and add two tubes of Bar's Leaks Golden seal powder. It is available at any Wal-Mart at $1.44. You can pour that powder right into radiator filling neck.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Just tried to reply,Thanks for the tips and hope it posts this time.Have some metal seal on the manifold and cleaned it with a dremel real good.New thermostat and plate blube.Had a leak on that steel line with the hose connecting to another steel line ,dont know what it was but took a few days of cutting and a longer hose.Works good no leaks,was worried I blew a head gasket but all looks fine now ,tank holding water two days now.If anyone changed a engine and has that manifold i need it ,only one yard near me and online there bandits,at least the one who quoted me $195.00 plus shipping. Bars leak tomorrow and i got the code reader to read ,ill write them down tomorrow.Thanks Again!

It is common for the exhaust manifolds to crack, I have helped a few members with theirs. There is a casting number stamped on it, that you must get, and match with a new one from a scrap yard.

Go to Car-Parts dot com you will see that they provide casting numbers. However, before you install a used one on your engine, you should take it to a machine shop and have them square it up (each exhaust port) so that they are IN LINE with each other and square, to reduce the possiblity of cracking it. Proper tightening sequence is imperitive. Mike

(check your engine mounts for damage)

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived