CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1986 Cadillac Fleetwood/Deville

DJ60

I have a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood/Deville I Know from the manual how to clear codes but this E59 will never ever clear no matter what. The E00 code comes up but if I switch the car off or use the auto button that E59 code is still present. I don't have to drive it or nothing the only thing happens after E00 appears is the service engine soon light go out until I drive it a short distance and it come back on again. So does this mean that I will need to have my transmission overhaul because I don't see anything to remove from the transmission other than one plug with about four or five wires or would changing the fluid make a different. I don't think it ever been changed but ever if that was the solution why don't the code clear while parked. Basic what I'm saying is no matter how many times I clear and recheck without moving the car, E59 is still there. I have changed the oxgen sensor already, and the computer module. All other codes will clear except this one. Thanks for any help.

P000 (E000) Cruise Servo Apply Problem

P059 (E059) Transmission Input speed sensor

I think that the transmission input speed sensor code is your main problem. It could be an electrical problem; check the wiring and connectors from under the car.

For the 1986 model year, the fifth VIN digit is B for Fleetwoods and D for Devilles, although in this model year the Fleetwoods were an option package on the Deville platform; I believe that this is what you say your car is, a Fleetwood. The eighth is the engine code, 8 for the 4.1 liter V8, which I'm assuming that you have. These cars had the THM440-T4 transmission (except the stretch limo and such, which were rear-wheel drive with the 307 cid iron V8). This transmission, unchanged, was called the 4T60 after a nomenclature change a year or two later. Except for electronic control starting in 1988 with the 4T60E, this is the same transmission that was used on the 4.5 and 4.9 liter V8s.

I believe that changing the speed sensor doesn't require an overhaul but its a big job. I'll lave it to others with experience changing this sensor on the 4T60 or 4T60-E to discuss that job.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The code won't clear because the issue causing the code to set has not been corrected. This is a front wheel drive Fleetwood correct? There was a Fleetwood Brougham in 1986 that was rear wheel drive but since you mention the Deville, I am thinking that your car is the smaller, front wheel drive version.

Changing the fluid is not going to solve the problem - You need to troubleshoot the system and repair/replace the component that is causing the trouble code.

Ebay is a great source for factory service manuals for older cars. Search "1986 Cadillac Service" on ebay.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood/Deville I Know from the manual how to clear codes but this E59 will never ever clear no matter what. The E00 code comes up but if I switch the car off or use the auto button that E59 code is still present. I don't have to drive it or nothing the only thing happens after E00 appears is the service engine soon light go out until I drive it a short distance and it come back on again. So does this mean that I will need to have my transmission overhaul because I don't see anything to remove from the transmission other than one plug with about four or five wires or would changing the fluid make a different. I don't think it ever been changed but ever if that was the solution why don't the code clear while parked. Basic what I'm saying is no matter how many times I clear and recheck without moving the car, E59 is still there. I have changed the oxgen sensor already, and the computer module. All other codes will clear except this one. Thanks for any help.

I'm a new owner of the same car and I got the same code. I was alarmed because the guy i bought it from assured me that the trans was newly rebuilt. I called a few trans shops and one mechanic gave me some interesting news. He told me that the trans in the car was a 4T60E and that it doesn't have an Input speed sensor attached to it. The later model Northstar motors has the 4T80 model trans, which supposedly has one. This was very puzzling to him. He recommended that I come in and have the system scanned for more accuracy. I will post the results when i get new info. i hope this helps

Archived