CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water on front and rear floor pan

Golfer

Hi guys, jus t want to say I love this site, lots of good info and input. I have a 1999 STS. No problems at all so far, except for water on the passenger side floor pans. The problem has been there for a couple of years now, so this week I decided to remove the carpets to determine where the water is coming in. I had to remove the console, carpet retainers and front passenger seat. I cut the front carpet under the console area as the cut would be hidden when I replaced the console. I was surprised to see how much foam was applied to the underside of the carpets. The foam was saturated front and back. I must have squeezed 1/2 gal out of the foam itself. The SDM was totally corroded, (explains the seatbelt warning) after sponging the whole area dry, I tried the hose test at every point to determine where the water is entering. I got a trickle from under the firewall on the passenger side from beneath a rubber type cover. Anyway it rained last night and sure enough there was about 1" of water on the floor. I have narrowed it down to somewhere down the large hole on the top of the firewall below the the winshield. Trouble is I cant get my hand down the hole to make any repairs. Any ideas would be gratefull. Its pointless putting the carpets back in untill I have sealed the leak. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get most of the history in. I should add definately no leaks from the sunroof or trunk areas. Thanks for your time. Ron

Sounds like it could be leaking into the car via the air conditioner evaporator housing. Can you post a picture of the area where you found it leaking? That would be very helpful.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sounds like it could be leaking into the car via the air conditioner evaporator housing. Can you post a picture of the area where you found it leaking? That would be very helpful.

I have a photo of the trickle but the picture was too laarge to post, how do I make it "postable"

One way is to establish a free account at photobucket.com, upload your pictures, and post a link to specific pictures here.

Like this http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Jim...et/100_0338.jpg

OK try this link. If I can't repair the leak I was thinking of putting a drain hole near those 2 plugs as the water takes this path to the rear floor deck.

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/Golfer_photo/Leaks/

One way is to establish a free account at photobucket.com, upload your pictures, and post a link to specific pictures here.

Like this <a href="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Jim...et/100_0338.jpg" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Jim...et/100_0338.jpg</a>

OK try this link. If I can't repair the leak I was thinking of putting a drain hole near those 2 plugs as the water takes this path to the rear floor deck.

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/Golfer_photo/Leaks/

I am off to Florida for 2 weeks tomorrow. Hope to have some replies when I get back, untill then I will have a freind sponge out the water if it rains while I am away. Thanks again.

Are you certain the water is coming from the front and not the rear? Sevilles are infamous for trunk gasket leaks.

Look under the rear seat cushion for water residue.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Had the trunk leak problem a couple of years ago, fixed that. Definately coming in the front as shown in the photos. I guess my problem is not knowing where it is coming in, but rather how to fix it short of pulling the whole

dash out.

Sounds like it could be leaking into the car via the air conditioner evaporator housing . . .

Could this be as simple as the evaporator drain being plugged?

Would that allow water to "back-up" into the air mix box? Overflow into the interior?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

A couple years ago we had the same problem but different car. The wind shield seal at the passenger side lower corner was bad. A little RTV and that was fixed. The leak was better but still there. Then I popped the hood and poured a steady steam of water around the quarter-sized corner drain hole. I noticed that some of the water would escape the drain hole and make its way down along a seam between the inner fender and firewall covering. The oem seam material can be best described as a cross between foam and RTV. As soon as the water ran along that seam we had water inside. Bingo. The seam was in a very tight location so I used a long paint stir stick and lots of RTV. May not be your problem but food for thought.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Sounds like it could be leaking into the car via the air conditioner evaporator housing . . .

Would that allow water to "back-up" into the air mix box? Overflow into the interior?

Regards,

Warren

That was my first thought but the car only leaks when it rains and even when it is parked overnight.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

This is just a wild thought because I am not really sure from your pictures what I am looking at. Do you have a sunroof? I had a 1998 STS and the floor and front kick panels would get wet. I discovered that my sunroof drains were plugged and backup would run down the under the cover on the roof pillars to the floor inside. It is supposed to drain out in the front wheel wells. I ran some trimmer line up from the wheel wells to clear them but this eventually caused them to come loose. It was a bear to re-attach so I used some glue to keep them in place. I never had a problem after that.

I never got as much water as you described but it would get the carpet wet and stinky. Just a thought.

Regards,

Warren

That was my first thought but the car only leaks when it rains and even when it is parked overnight.

I agree with KHE & WarrenJ. There is a rubber drain about the middle of the firewall down low that sticks out a little. I had to access it from under the car. Use a piece of wire or small stick and see if it is plugged. Be careful not to be directly under it or you will get wet. :o Take my word for it. ;)

Hmmm...water leaks.

I bet the SDM looked like crap. Seen it.

AC drain...maybe..1 inch water would be a whole lotta of AC cooling.

Is there a sunroof?

Sunroof drains can get partly clogged. Light to moderdate rain they drain ok. Get into a downpour hard rain the tubes can back up and dump water inside the car.

Big question? Does the car have a sunroof?

I have a 93 sts and had water coming in on the back seat floor boards, turns out it was the moonroof "drain tubes" - they were clogged up - you can get to them through the trunk. Once those were unclogged, I never had any other water problems.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 93 sts and had water coming in on the back seat floor boards, turns out it was the moonroof "drain tubes" - they were clogged up - you can get to them through the trunk. Once those were unclogged, I never had any other water problems.

OK guys thanks for the replys. I got back from Florida last night and decided to tackle it again today. I bought some food coloring and mixed it with some water and lo and behold it poured in from the drain tube on the sun roof. I didnt suspect the drain tube as I had a problem a couple of years ago where the drain tube had come off the spigot on the drivers side, but that led to the molding getting soaked. After pulling down the head liner and epoxying it back on I had no more problems.

The fact that the molding on the passenger side was dry I eliminated the fact the drain tube had come off the spigot.

I guess now that I know where the leak is I have to determine if the drain tube connects to another drain tube further down or whether it has popped out of its location in the wheel well.

Thanks again I will keep you posted.

Rgards Golfer.

Open the sunroof then push a length (approximately 8 ft) of weed whacker line starting from the front corner drain hole. You should be able to work it all the way to the nipple behind the wheel well. You'll know right away if it's connected. You may just have a clogged line and the weed trimmer line should dislodge the obstruction (most likely at the nipple). Water leak issues can be tricky. Always eliminate the basics.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

• 2 weeks later...
Open the sunroof then push a length (approximately 8 ft) of weed whacker line starting from the front corner drain hole. You should be able to work it all the way to the nipple behind the wheel well. You'll know right away if it's connected. You may just have a clogged line and the weed trimmer line should dislodge the obstruction (most likely at the nipple). Water leak issues can be tricky. Always eliminate the basics.

I have located the nipple inside the wheel well, and sure enough the drain tube has come off and the water is just going straight into the passenger side foot well. I pulled the rubber nipple from the wheel well and I can just feel the drain hose inside with my little finger. there is no way I can re-connect it through such a small hole. I would have to dismantle half of the inside of the car to get at it from inside. I am thinking of cutting a bigger hole next to the nipple to be able to re-install the drain tube on to the nipple, then patch and seal the new hole. Anybody else had this problem?

Golfer

Isn't the nipple located at the rear end side of the wheel well? If you remove the plastic wheel well guard can you see or access it then? And congratulations on finding the source of you problem.

"Burns" rubber

Isn't the nipple located at the rear end side of the wheel well? If you remove the plastic wheel well guard can you see or access it then? And congratulations on finding the source of you problem.

The plastic inside the fender only goes in a couple of inches from the edge, the nipple is mounted on what would be the floor of the passenger side, the portion that goes up at an angle where you put your feet, but a lot higher up. I am off to West Virginia on Monday so it is going to have to wait untill I get back. As a temporary fix to prevent water coming in I have caulked the hole in the sunroof drain with silicone, I still have 3 more drains to take the water out of the sunroof.

Thanks for all your replys. Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all new to the forum....I Just bought a 99 sts with the same kind of issue. I didn't relize there was a problem until I got the rubber mats out of the car and saw the carpet was wet. The guy I bought it from

said no problems but also had a crap load of air freshener in there to cover the mildew smell.Mine

is wet only on the drivers side front and back. Any other reason the drivers side would be wet?

• 3 years later...

Hello. I am new to this forum and I am not car savy. I was just looking up reasons on why the floor on the passenger side in the rear was completely saturated with water. I just bought a 98 seville sts not even a week ago. It has been raining pretty bad the past few days and I noticed a stench. while looking for the smell I discovered the floor was soaked. I do not have a sunroof. Any suggestions?

If it is not a sun roof drain then it's probably the A/C evaporator module drain tube that is clogged.

Part #21. Just get under the car and squeeze it, but DO NOT be directly under it when you do unless you need a shower.

0209176K09-020.gif

Wasn't there also a trunk gasket seal issue with the Sevilles? 98seville's mention of the water being concentrated in the rear floor pan brought that to mind.

Of course, it might just be a false memory.

Posted Image

Archived