CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

08 last year for DTS

Lots of rumors about this... Yes the DTS and the STS are about to be killed off and to be merged into one car... Everything I have read is that this will NOT occur until 2010 which in "GM" time will probably happen in 2011 or 2012.

BTW when the STS and DTS die the Northstar is slated to die too... WITH NO 32V REPLACEMENT SLATED

I suspect the salesman was using high-pressure to get a quick sale.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I have read several articles that said 2010 also. that will be about the time I will be ready for another one.

I will then have to decide on getting one of the last ones with the NorthStar or getting one of the new ones without it.

Posted Image

There are also lots of rumors out there that the 2010/11/12 DT7 (or whateve it will be called) will have a BMW 32V V8 Engine in it.

caddy.jpg

Greg

There are also lots of rumors out there that the 2010/11/12 DT7 (or whateve it will be called) will have a BMW 32V V8 Engine in it.

I'm hoping more like the XV12... 48 Valves and Cylinder Deactivation.

It's time!

Florin

The day that Cadillac starts using foreign engines is the day I stop buying Cadillac.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

The day that Cadillac starts using foreign engines is the day I stop buying Cadillac.

You got that right! Why would they do that though?

Florin

GM pulled the plug on the "ultra" V8 replacement for the Northstar when it was about 90% complete... The reason given is that GM would not be able to get enough profit from this motor to recoup the development costs. I'm sure that make sense to some business major somewhere.

Anywho it is clear that one of two things will happen in 2010/11/12

1) The Cadillac V8 will be a BWM design (and probably build) or

2) The LSx series of push-rod engines will be adapted for Cadillac use

Either way this will be the beginning of the end of the Cadillac Division. Cadillac needs and deserves an exclusive GM built engine, and if Cadillac hopes to once again be the "Standard of the World" that engine had better be 32V and DI etc making 400-450 HP

Anything less and I will be forced (i-forced really) to shop elsewhere.

caddy.jpg

Greg

GM pulled the plug on the "ultra" V8 replacement for the Northstar when it was about 90% complete... The reason given is that GM would not be able to get enough profit from this motor to recoup the development costs. I'm sure that make sense to some business major somewhere.

Anywho it is clear that one of two things will happen in 2010/11/12

1) The Cadillac V8 will be a BWM design (and probably build) or

2) The LSx series of push-rod engines will be adapted for Cadillac use

Either way this will be the beginning of the end of the Cadillac Division. Cadillac needs a deserves an exclusive GM built engine, and if Cadillac hopes to once again be the "Standard of the World" that engine had better be 32V and DI etc making 400-450 HP

Anything less and I will be forced (i-forced really) to shop elsewhere.

That's right.

I'm really disappointed that "The Standard of the World" is doing that.

You figure they would of learned their lesson,but NO... :huh:

Never believe a salesperson prediction, particularly when said prediction can be construed to buy a DTS while you can. A salesperson recently told me that GM was about to fold Buick Division, too. Not too far back, there was a pervasive rumor emanating from the Japanese car community that GM was about to fold up Pontiac; sales began to suffer so GM put a full-page ad in the Wall Street Journal and probably other papers, in which they explained, among other things, that Pontiac outsold all Japanese imports combined.

This BS about buying a motor from BMW is transparent nonsense. GM plans for motors past a five year horizon are opaque, as they shoud be -- as the MUST be.

What I can see is the integral blower of the Northstar V series motors being applied to a new V6 or a smaller but newer V8 with direct injection as part of a hybrid system. Remember, GM is a world leader in powertrain development now, and suggestions that they are folding up their powertrain capability leave me breathless with disbelief about what people will believe.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It might make sense to some business major but it doesn't make sense to me! :unsure:

If the Northstar replacement V8 is 90% complete, I would reason that GM has already spent 90% of the development cost. If they don't go ahead and manufacture it, they won't recoup ANY of the development costs. It seems to me if they go ahead with it, they should at least recoup SOME of the investment they've already made.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

It might make sense to some business major but it doesn't make sense to me! :unsure:

If the Northstar replacement V8 is 90% complete, I would reason that GM has already spent 90% of the development cost. If they don't go ahead and manufacture it, they won't recoup ANY of the development costs. It seems to me if they go ahead with it, they should at least recoup SOME of the investment they've already made.

That was my thinking also.

Kinda like if you "REALLY HAD TO" sell your car.

If no one would give you your asking price... is it better to sell it for the best offer you can get, at least getting SOME of your money back.... or just take it to the wreacking yard and GIVE IT to them.... thereby getting absolutely NOTHING for it.

I seriously doubt I would ever buy a Cadillac without a V8. But thats just me.

Posted Image

That was my thinking also.

Kinda like if you "REALLY HAD TO" sell your car.

If no one would give you your asking price... is it better to sell it for the best offer you can get, at least getting SOME of your money back.... or just take it to the wreacking yard and GIVE IT to them.... thereby getting absolutely NOTHING for it.

I seriously doubt I would ever buy a Cadillac without a V8. But thats just me.

Don't believe everything you hear.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I think the reason the plug was pulled on the replacement Northstar is the new fuel economy standards that were passed recently.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

This BS about buying a motor from BMW is transparent nonsense. GM plans for motors past a five year horizon are opaque, as they should be -- as the MUST be.

What I can see is the integral blower of the Northstar V series motors being applied to a new V6 or a smaller but newer V8 with direct injection as part of a hybrid system. Remember, GM is a world leader in powertrain development now, and suggestions that they are folding up their powertrain capability leave me breathless with disbelief about what people will believe.

Maybe transparent nonsense... except in this case it is true:

here -> Link to news article

and here -> More BMW engines coming

and here BMW and engine profits

Or just buy and read the May 2008 edition of Automobile Magazine (pages 30-31) "From Northstar to Death Star: Cadillac Plans to Kill its V8"

From the CEO of BMW

Selling engines and other components to other automakers is part of BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer's Number One strategic plan to boost the carmaker's profitability.

Just a coincidence that the BMW announcement was made less then a month after GM pulled the plug on the Northstar replacement.

The V series motors are also not an option. At present (and for the foreseeable future) they are "hand" built.. and they cost a fortune (relatively) to make. Without some major re-tooling it is unlikely that we will see their expanded use.

Nope, GM has been very clear and very transparent on this one... one of four things will happen (all bad)

1) The Northstar will be replaced with a pushrod truck motor in 2010/11/12

2) The Northstar will be replaced with a 32V BMW motor in 2010/11/12

3) All Caddy V8s will die and will be replaced with DI V6's and turbo 4's in 2010/11/12 or

4) The Northstar will be flogged to death beyond 2010/11/12 as it becomes the weakest V8 on the planet and 4.5L 400HP luxury V8s from BMW, Lexus, MB (and even Hyundai) rule.

My bet 70% chance its #1 and 30% chance its #2

#3 will mean an end of the Cadillac Division as will #4

And regarding the death of other divisions... Yes this will happen too. Listen to what Lutz says... He too is very open and transparent. Right now it is not clear which division will be the next to go, Buick is selling well in China so it will probably live on... Pontiac? its on its last legs, starved for product and decent marketing as is Hummer. Cadillac too is in rough shape. Our division is hanging on by only two "cars" that sell well, the CTS and the (very long in the tooth) Escalade. A division will not live for long based on 1.5 successful models.

caddy.jpg

Greg

My salesman told me that this is the last year for the DTS as well. It's not the reason that I bought my new car, in fact I just shrugged him off, but I did believe that he was convinced that he was telling the truth. The "rumor" started somewhere.

It seems to me, that when you have a V6 putting out as much HP as the new DI unit does, all you need to do is take the CTS body, stretch it out a little, possibly lighten it up by removing a few options, make it FWD, and you're done. Plus it will satisfy Nancy Pelosi, and the rest of the Californians that are screeming for 30+ MPG CAFE! The BMW engine will not do that, nor will the V12, but if they are high cost options you might be able to order one that way.

Sort of reminds me of the Toureg V10 diesel option, a $10,000.00 add, plus there are none scheduled to be shipped to the US.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

GM has been building and selling what it wants to sell instead of what the market wants, in the sense of building a car 10% more expensive than their marketing department says that is the price range for highest sales, since the heady days of the late 1950's. That kind of upmarket push on the consumer works when you have 60% market share and the American Dream is in full bloom, but it is a poor global policy. The Japanese and others have entered the market with the smallest of cars and endured the bad times by having well-developed small cars in their lineup. Although Chevrolet does have the Aveo, that's about all there is there, and the big push is on the trucks and sport-utes. In good times that's where the bucks are. In bad times, the mid and upper priced cars, and the gas guzzlers, are hit worse than the low end and the luxury cars. Now, the days of gas at half the price that it's sold in Europe seem to be numbered, and we know what's normal in Europe: the middle-of-the-line daily driver is a two-liter.

The 50% rise in gasoline cost in the last year is just the beginning. All the American car companies are hurting because much of their profitability has been based on the biggest cars and the sport-utes, and model competition has been based on who builds the biggest one. In a downturn because of higher gasoline prices, these are the models that get hurt first.

We see the DI V6 at 304 hp, more than the top-of-the-line Northstar until they bumped it to 320 hp in 2004 or so, and we thing that Cadillac will go back to the 4.1 or use a Volvo V6 in a couple of years?. Whatever Cadillac or GM does, they will have their own engines, drivetrains, and platforms, and they will be appropriate for the times in which they are built and sold.

The 50% rise in gasoline cost in the last year is just the beginning. All the American car companies are hurting because much of their profitability has been based on the biggest cars and the sport-utes, and model competition has been based on who builds the biggest one. In a downturn because of higher gasoline prices, these are the models that get hurt first.

The gas prices are hurting my vacation plans this year.

For several years we have been talking about a two week road trip. We wanted to go from Texas to Crater Lake, then up to Mt St. Helens, then to Mt Rainier. From there, come back across the upper part of the US and go thru Glacier National Park. On the "Going To The Sun Highway."

Then over to the Dakotas and Mt Rushmore and finally back to Texas.

Figured up the fuel bill....... It is going to be $1,300 to $1,400 bucks JUST FOR FUEL.

Figure AT LEAST another $1,200 to $1,500 for motels and eats and incidentals... the trip is going to cost about $3,000 bucks or more.

At that price, looks like we postpone it again. I really can't afford a $3,000 vacation.

Posted Image

For 3G's you can go on a nice cruise..............and food is included

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived