CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 STS - Service Ride Control

This seems to be a popular problem with these cars..

Just baught my 1993 cadillac STS in December and is now saying 'service ride control' sometimes, mainly if i go over a big bump. It also makes some mild clunking and bumping sounds when I drive over potholes etc. I assumed this was normal until reading a post recently of someone else with that problem. Anyways I got these codes and could use some further explaining of what they really mean:

P013 - Right Oxygen Sensor Not Ready

A048 history - Low Refrigerant Pressure (dont care about this one here)

S011 history - Left Front Damper Solenoid Valve Short to Ground/Open

S055 history - Resistor Module Short to Ground/Open

S062 history - Left Rear Position Sensor Fault

I should also add my front tires need to be changed, they both seem to have slow leaks so I'm constantly filling them up - could this have anything to do with the problem? Or do I probably need new struts/shocks??

-Robin

P013 - Right Oxygen Sensor Not Ready

A048 history - Low Refrigerant Pressure (dont care about this one here)

S011 history - Left Front Damper Solenoid Valve Short to Ground/Open

S055 history - Resistor Module Short to Ground/Open

S062 history - Left Rear Position Sensor Fault

The "S" codes are related to your suspension error codes. History means they have occurred, but are not a current problem

Damaged wiring and/or connections, can cause some of these problems.

1. I would look at the front strut connections, to be sure that they are clean and tight.

2. Look at the rear shock connections, to be sure that they are clean and tight.

3. Check the position sensors wires and connections, to be sure that they are clean and tight.

4. Check to be sure the sensors are solidly mounted, and that the linkage is connected properly.

5. Check the fuses in the trunk, and under the hood.

Clunking sounds are usually caused by worn out suspension bushings. You need to get under the car, and push and pull on all of the connections

that you can find. Parts are not very expensive, and usually not to hard to replace by yourself.

Another thing to keep in mind, these STS's do not ride particularly smooth, they have very firm suspension to be able to handle high speeds, and maneuver

along winding roads easily. Use some caution when driving rough roads, slow down, and watch for out for those potholes.

When replacing the tires, do not cheap out. Get good quality tires, with at least H rating. Four fresh tires will make it feel pretty nice again.

You did not note your mileage, if it is over 100k, the struts and shocks are likely worn out, and you should consider replacing them.

If you decide to replace them, I would recommend using the Arnott brand. They are a passive replacement, but have the solenoids

to fool the computer.

Link to Arnott

The low refrigerant error (history)means that you have a leak. I would put it on the list to have checked out by a good AC shop. The AC is in

nearly constant use, even if you are in a relatively mild climate. It helps keep extra moisture from building up in the car, and causing

mold or mildew.

Regarding the Oxygen Sensor, if the plug connection is OK, then it should be replaced. They can be a real pain to remove, very tight.

It is best to try and remove them from a warm (not hot) engine.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks for all the info, the car is past 100k, are those Arnott parts only available online or would they be in my area as well? Do you know which fuses I should be checking? I'll try and do all the advice you gave, thanks a million :-)

Does the oxygen sensor have to do with the catalytic converter? When I had my car worked on in december there was a code saying the fuel was too rich or something and we needed a new catalytic converter , but instead my mechanic just gutted it so i wouldnt have to spend a fortune on a new one..

Thanks for all the info, the car is past 100k, are those Arnott parts only available online or would they be in my area as well? Do you know which fuses I should be checking? I'll try and do all the advice you gave, thanks a million :-)

Does the oxygen sensor have to do with the catalytic converter? When I had my car worked on in december there was a code saying the fuel was too rich or something and we needed a new catalytic converter , but instead my mechanic just gutted it so i wouldnt have to spend a fortune on a new one..

I bought mine from Arnott, online. Very trustworthy business. I would recommend getting both the shocks and struts.

I made a Power Point Slide show when I did the shocks, but I never got around to documenting the strut replacement.

Follow the link, then download the file I made on the shock replacement procedure, that I did on my 1993 STS.

Link

You didn't mention the catalytic converter had been rendered useless. Your mechanic gave you bad advice on this subject. You need to replace the converter for this engine to preform correctly. This car is heavily wired to several computers, and a large number of sensors, they all need to communicate with each other, and the other components of the system.

Removing the converter has interrupted the flow of information that the computer needs, to properly regulate the engine's fuel supply, and timing. Removing the converter will not give you any power gains, it is able to flow more exhaust then the stock engine will ever pass to it. I highly recommend getting the CORRECT replacement converter installed, yes it may be pricey, but the engine will preform better, and you will be able to pass emission tests. There is no sense replacing either of the oxygen sensors, until the converter is replaced, the sensors may be just fine.

The too rich problem you mention is usually caused by one or more of the following:

1. At 100k miles, you should replace the spark plugs. Use only the AC Delco spark plugs (41-950), others just do not work as well on the Northstar engine. The spark plug gap is .050".

2. Your spark plug wires may also be due to change. With the engine running in a dark location, mist the wires with a little water from a small pump bottle. If you see a lot of sparkling, they need to be replaced.

3. The Fuel Pressure Regulator may be leaking. It will allow to much fuel to get into the intake manifold. This will of course cause an over-rich condition. Some symptoms are hard warm starting, rough engine at low speeds, a converter can severely overheat and start a fire.

4. Pull off the spark plug wires at the coil, and check them. They should be clean and bright metal.

5. Check the spark plug wires at the spark plug end. Often water gets in them, it will cause shorting. A small (teaspoon or less) of oil in the tube, is not unusual.

6. If you experience some high speed roughness, the Power Control Module may be failing. It is located under the coil pack.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The link below will get you to my web storage with a number of 1993 Cadillac STS bits of information and some images.

I hope you can find some of them useful to solving some of your problems,

Good Luck, George

1993 Cadillac STS

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived