CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

This cant be happeneing

It seems everytime i get paid a large amount of money something else goes wrong with my car!

I load the Dynomax mufflers into the car and ready to take it to te muffler shop to be installed only to have my car not start!

Its nott he battery because everything works (electronics) yetwhen i try and crank it there a "click click click" and it'll keep doing that until i stop trying to crank... i have no idea whats going on...

nothing came up on the codes check...so im pretty clueless as of now....could the hot weather have something to do with it? fuel pump....starter...what could it be?

I was really looking forward to getting my mufflers installed :(

Battery probably has enough power to run accessories but not enough to crank the engine. Try to jump start it. If that works, replace the dead battery.

Battery cable terminal corrosion or corrosion under the insulation on the cable that feeds the starter solenoid??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

So try a jump start.

All it takes is for some accessory to be left on to drain a good battery.

Try loosening and then retightening the battery cables

Batteries do fail prematurely.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Check the cable as JimD says, but never overlook the obvious. I have had batteries go bad in 6 months. I've had bad batteries right off the shelf. "click click click" usually indicates a weak battery.Try jumping it if the cables check out ok.

If you have a DVM you could just measure the DC Volts across the terminals and see whats there. I did that just last Monday for a neighbor.

Same thing happened to me. I went outside to start up my car, all the guages came on but when I turned the key, click click click. It was a week battery. I checked the volts on the little screen and I think it was under 10. I had my dad jump start it and it would start fine, but it would not hold its charge. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 60.00 battery and it works perfect now.

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Usually I am around 14.5

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

13.5 is a wee bit low but don't panic yet. How long did you drive around for? It might just have to charge up a little bit. Mine runs 14.1 - 14.5

Hope everything is ok now.

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

By the way, have fun with your new muffler!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

13.5 sounds a bit low but might be right if the battery needed a good charge and you had a lot of accessories on.

Was the connection loose? If not, check that negative cable good for corrosion under the insulation.

13.5 would be OK if the battery is fully charged. A fully charged battery won't be pulling much more. The battery connection was not allowing the current to flow enough, to lower the battery charge, to require a higher charging rate.

Glad it was an easy fix.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Mine typically bounces between 13.5-14.0 regularly...I also experienced your same crisis with the cables, except I was out of town with no tools....AAA had it fixed in no time....Good Luck

G.M.'s are notorious for the cables getting loose or coroded. Sometimes, all it takes is to grab the cable and yank on it. I dont know about Northstar's, but worst case for a 4.9 would be $60 for a starter and an hour underneath :P

Archived