CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

gas mileage

KenD

If it's hissing, I don't think it is working right. It is basically a check valve. It will let air in to replace fuel that is used but will not let air backout. If you are hearing a hissing, that means there is a vacuum created which means that the cap is not letting air in. NOT GOOD If the fuel is not being replaced with air, something has to give. Either the pump will stop pumping when the vacuum gets too great or the tank will cave in.

I don't think the hissing is a bias for replacing the fuel cap. My Fleetwood Brougham has hissed when I remove the gas cap since the day I drove it off the lot with 15 miles on the odometer...

The fuel systems are very tight on modern cars.

I think we had this discussion on another thread but basically, you should replace your cap "every so often".

When I bought my '92 Seville, I began to notice the engine would "jitter" once in a while during idle. I changed the gas cap and BINGO, it was gone.

The only time I've ever replaced a gas cap is when I forgot to reinstall it after leaving the gas station....never anything to do with drivability problems...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived